Advertisements
Help identifying a bad motor mount

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2016, 07:46 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Help identifying a bad motor mount

I replaced upper and lower mounts and was inspecting the center through the bolt hole and I am assuming it is bad. Can one you you guys take a look and tell me what you think? It really doesn't matter as I am going to have it replaced anyway, when i get my timing belt changed within the next week (only at 82K but better safe than sorry). When i look through the bolt hole, i see there is no rubber on the top side of the mount and you can see straight through to the block. The rubber that is there looks like it has torn edges. Seems like a no brainer its bad since the new durlast has solid rubber all the way around the mount. The only reason i am sceptical is that it seems pretty odd that that much rubber is gone on the top side of the mount and was thinking mayber the chrysler OEM was not as "beefy" as the duralast and was built like the torque arms with gaps between the rubber. The Duralast torque arms where the same way (solid all the way around). I'm getting alot of vibration in the cabin despite properly adjusting the new top and bottom. Because i got a rough idle, i'm just assuming the the vibration got worst after changing the upper and lowers was because of the more rigid rubber in the new ones and the old ones were shot. In the photo the arrows show what i am refering too. Sorry for the novel!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg factor mount.jpg (96.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Duralast mount.jpg (94.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 13 May 2016, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help identifying a bad motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I replaced upper and lower mounts and was inspecting the center through the bolt hole and I am assuming it is bad. Can one you you guys take a look and tell me what you think? It really doesn't matter as I am going to have it replaced anyway, when i get my timing belt changed within the next week (only at 82K but better safe than sorry). When i look through the bolt hole, i see there is no rubber on the top side of the mount and you can see straight through to the block. The rubber that is there looks like it has torn edges. Seems like a no brainer its bad since the new durlast has solid rubber all the way around the mount. The only reason i am sceptical is that it seems pretty odd that that much rubber is gone on the top side of the mount and was thinking mayber the chrysler OEM was not as "beefy" as the duralast and was built like the torque arms with gaps between the rubber. The Duralast torque arms where the same way (solid all the way around). I'm getting alot of vibration in the cabin despite properly adjusting the new top and bottom. Because i got a rough idle, i'm just assuming the the vibration got worst after changing the upper and lowers was because of the more rigid rubber in the new ones and the old ones were shot. In the photo the arrows show what i am refering too. Sorry for the novel!
This is why I went with OEM. I had read other members post about more vibration with torque struts that has solid rubber. If the torque struts are damaged long enough it may damage the center mount.
rckstein likes this.