PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Swap heads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 May 2016, 03:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Swap heads?

Guys I need your advice.

My wife and I have a 2001 2.0L LE each, hers is auto mine manual both petrol. Last year my wifes auto box gave out and I had it stripped and rebuilt, cost 1200 (about $1700), I spent the money as the car is in great shape even with 100,000+ miles on the clock. Mine has 97,000 miles but has not been looked after before I got it and is a rattler with some real rattle from the gearbox/cluth area at around 3000 revs with slight acceleration.

So here's the dilema my wifs car boild over a couple of times recently, I am now convinced one inlet valve or seat is damaged and water is getting into this cylinder. Diagnosed by high pressure in water system, white oily residue in inlet port and white smoke (water vapour) from exhaust. I have now pulled the car off the road. As the problem with my car is bottom end and my wifes is top end I thought I might swap the heads over. However I am assuming this is a pretty big job. In fact if I did this I would probably scrap my car and not fit the head, so the refit is only on one car.

As always I respect your combined knowldge so could I have your thoughts on this please?
Old 13 May 2016, 03:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Swap heads?

Swap the heads. Why have two cars that don't move when you can take both and have one? I'd recommend replacing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump at the same time. Along with that center motor mount.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 May 2016, 03:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Mine runs and is used every day, just a rattler.

Any idea how long it woul dtake to pull the head and refit?
Old 13 May 2016, 08:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Unless you're a fairly skilled mechanic, I'd say give it 3 to 5 days. An experienced mechanic SHOULD be able to do it in a day or two.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.