PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt replacement cost

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 May 2016, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Timing belt replacement cost

Stupid question but...has anyone had their timing belt changed at a dealership lately? My dealer, as most, it always out to screw me but, according to chrysler, if I want to maintain by limited life time power train warranty, it must be replaced at a stealership. Thanks in advance!
Old 15 May 2016, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt replacement cost

I brought my own parts (from RockAuto) to my local dealer and it cost me $900.
ptprice and wingman55 like this.
Old 15 May 2016, 07:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks man. Think they quoted me 1600 for labor
Old 15 May 2016, 07:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow... I've seen on the forum here that most people do timing belt and water pump at or near 100k miles... What's the going rate for getting these done at a dealer? Are the numbers that are being mentioned in this thread typical??? That seems like a bit much...
Old 15 May 2016, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, I'm sitting at 81k and it just happened to be a convenient time to have mine replaced at a local mom and pop with a good bunch of guys that used to work at Toyota. They quoted me 600 for the labor. Thinking that this was preventive maintenance, I thought I could go anywhere that had a certified mech and used mopar parts to keep my lifetime warranty. Just for shits I called chrysler customer care to be sure. Low and behold, that's not the case. Must be done at a certified chrysler car center (aka dealership). I only plan on keeping the car 2 more years so now it's a gamble going with the mom and pop should the belt go out, which is my luck. Might just say the hell with being proactive and wait and see if I will put 18k more miles in 2 years. If it goes out before then, chrysler can pay for. Too bad nothing goes that smooth claiming warranty work.
Old 15 May 2016, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yah, I get what you're saying. I guess I got lucky enough to find an '05 GT convertible with 80k that's in real nice shape, so it's worth keeping it on the road, but I could see the majority of 100k mile cars being in a condition where the owner has to decide, keep the car a few more years and pay a couple thousand for maintenance, or consider it totaled, essentially. I just have a hard time believing it really costs that much... I guess it means enough people are paying it, right? Don't mind me, I just bought mine, and I'm not real excited about throwing a pile of money at it. But I also don't wanna let the maintenance go and make it worse... Just thinking out loud here.
wingman55 likes this.
Old 15 May 2016, 09:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Price by a local mechanic two months ago:

Parts (new belt): $50
Labor: $325
Shop supplies / tax: $25
Total cost: $400

This was the belt only, the water pump was not changed (was done by the previous owner though I asked for / received the receipt which is how I know the price breakdown). It was running rough, I drove it before the timing belt change. Turned out that the old timing belt had jumped 3 teeth somehow.

2001 PT Cruiser, Limited Edition, had ~ 83,000 miles on it when the belt was changed.

Edit: It is OK to call different shops and ask for price quotes. Call a minimum of five in your area, just say you heard it should be done, how much do they charge? And how much with the water pump (and thermostat?)?

Last edited by Spaz; 15 May 2016 at 09:28 pm.
Old 15 May 2016, 09:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow...300 labor. To be honest, if I was quoted 300, i,d keep walking, thinking the mechanic didn't have a clue what he was getting into. I think with the most exp. Mech this is at least a half day job. Hard to feed a family and keep a shops lights on for that. I had 2 local places quote 600 and 700, which seems fair. 1600 is just a damn rip off.
Old 15 May 2016, 10:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Well, I'm sitting at 81k and it just happened to be a convenient time to have mine replaced at a local mom and pop with a good bunch of guys that used to work at Toyota. They quoted me 600 for the labor. Thinking that this was preventive maintenance, I thought I could go anywhere that had a certified mech and used mopar parts to keep my lifetime warranty. Just for shits I called chrysler customer care to be sure. Low and behold, that's not the case. Must be done at a certified chrysler car center (aka dealership). I only plan on keeping the car 2 more years so now it's a gamble going with the mom and pop should the belt go out, which is my luck. Might just say the hell with being proactive and wait and see if I will put 18k more miles in 2 years. If it goes out before then, chrysler can pay for. Too bad nothing goes that smooth claiming warranty work.
Isn't the lifetime warranty good for the timing belt until you reach 105,000 miles?
Old 16 May 2016, 05:29 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I had SOOO BIG's timing belt installed, not at my choice but 'cause it went south on I-95. That was at less that 80,000 miles. I was fortunate enough to have the work done in the parking lot of a truck stop by a small truck, road service concern. There genuine interest to help me was countered only by their inexperience with PT Cruisers.

Three days later and many motel adventures wiser, I was back on the road. Their fee was just $700.00 including the Dayco warranted timing belt kit that included water pump, timing belt, camshaft belt idler and camshaft belt tensioner. They also threw in replacing the spark plugs and wires.

I spent another $120.00 for three days and two unbelievable nights in local motels.

After the fact I shelled out another $100.00 for peripheral things they'd screwed up. That totals over $900.00.

If your lookin' for adventure and are willing to play Russian Roulette with the timing belt, put it off till 100,000 miles. If you can get it done for $900.00 at your pleasure I'd opt for that!
Happy PTin', ptprice
dougs likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.