Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 engine shuts off will restart later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2016, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 engine shuts off will restart later

Hello, it's been a while since my last visit. Haven't had a problem that could not be readily fixed till now. I've done a search of the forum but nothing fits my situation. 2002 basic model automatic. While driving down the road at 55/60 mph the engine dies randomly. All lights work inside and out and when I try to re-start the starter does nothing. As if there is no power at all to it. In a few minutes the starter motor will run and engine starts. Not a low or weak battery. Strong instant start up. Won't do it again for a day or so. Will even shut off coming up short drive way. Sometimes it will not start for first time on a new day. Try it again in half an hour and it starts perfectly. As I say, when this happens the starter makes no sound or attempt to run. No clicking, just as if it wasn't even there!. I had the transmission module replaced but this didn't have any effect. Does anyone have a suggestion. The code pointed to the transmission not receiving an input from the engine module.
Thanks,
Russell
Old 21 May 2016, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 engine shuts off will restart later

Sounds like bad ground or bad cables on the battery. Check them both out.
Old 21 May 2016, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What was the transmission code you are receiving before you replaced the transmission module and what module was replaced?
Old 21 May 2016, 02:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin for the reply. I did that but if it was a bad battery connection wouldn't the engine continue to run once it is running? On another car I have if there is a battery connection issue I have to reset my radio settings.

Thanks to you ptcruisersteve also. I was not present when the code was checked so I'd have to ask the mechanic.
Old 21 May 2016, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest taking the PT Cruiser to a transmission repair shop that will check for transmission codes. You might still still have a problem with the transmission communicating with other modules. If you have no transmission codes I would suggest checking all the wires and connectors going to the PCM. also make sure the ground wires are good going to the PCM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 May 2016 at 02:58 pm.
Old 21 May 2016, 05:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The mechanic I'm using is also a transmission tech. Over a period of a week and a half all wiring was traced with no abnormalities found and all connections tested. The car can be driven for long distances with stops, shut offs and starts and driven more miles, parked and the last time for this (today) it would not restart 10 to 20 minutes later. After waiting another 30 minutes or so it would start. The problem is very random and because of this the problem is very difficult to pin point. I had rather it just quit altogether, the problem would be much easier to diagnose.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will get the code Monday and post it to see if it means anything to anyone here. All it is showing right now is a failure to communicate. I hate intermittent problems.
Old 21 May 2016, 06:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for your great feedback on what has been done to try and fix the problem.

I would suggest if you had an Ultragauge that you could leave hooked up to see if the PCM is still communicating when the engine shuts off. This might help give us another clue.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Old 21 May 2016, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the link ptcruisersteve.
Old 22 May 2016, 01:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Update. Drove car, parked, waited 30 minutes and restarted, then engine rpm floated up and down, stumbled and died, would not start. Left ignition on then and heard noise from under hood that sounds like a printer powering up after you turn it on. During this time temp gauge rose then fell. Odometer went thru a series of numbers and displayed a code "P1684, then "P1597". Check engine light comes on, cruise light comes on and brake light comes on. Check engine light comes on then starts flashing, other lights go off and check engine light on continuously. What the heck?
Old 22 May 2016, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe.....

Is there a ghost in my car?