Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Cruiser Cam and Crank position sensors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 May 2016, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 Cruiser Cam and Crank position sensors

Driving kids to school about a month ago and the car suddenly died. Used a code reader that flashed codes for both Cam position and Crank position sensors, changed both with no change. Found after further inspection that the timing belt broke as well. Changed belt, pulley and tensioner since the replacement kit I bought came with everything, also changed the water pump since I was already in there. Ultimately after many busted knuckles and long nights the job is done. Car started and ran maybe 2-3 mins, started sputtering and running very rough then shuts off. Checked codes again and both Cam and Crank codes flashed again... Any suggestions, this' driving me nuts
Old 21 May 2016, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Cruiser Cam and Crank position sensors

After you replaced the timing belt did you rotate it several times to make sure the timing marks were right on? Many members have gotten the timing off by one tooth on the intake cam sprocket.

First thing I would suggest is to put the old crankshaft and camshaft sensor back in the PT Cruiser. We don't know if the new crankshaft and camshaft sensors are working properly

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 21 May 2016 at 03:45 pm.
Old 21 May 2016, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I rotated the timing belt 2 full rotations and the timing was still good. I'll try replacing with the two old sensors and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 22 May 2016, 07:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

If you didn't use genuine MOPAR sensors and got those at your local Autobone, there's a very good chance that one or the other new sensor is bad. I don't recommend buying ANY electrical parts from Autobone. Having worked for them for 5 years, I can testify to the fact that a LOT of electrical parts come back as defective.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.