PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Which Intake manifold gasket do i need

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2016, 10:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Question Which Intake manifold gasket do i need

Hey folks. I was going to order new intake manifold gasket for my 2008 pt limited (turbo) and the one piece felt keeps coming up fo my year model. I was reading an old post and thought one mentioned the parts catalog listed the wrong p/n (felt) for my year model. Do i need the multi-piece silcon type seals or the one piece felt? I have the composite upper manifold.
Old 23 May 2016, 09:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Which Intake manifold gasket do i need

Bump...i'm about 90 percent sure I need the rubber seals but every site I go to keeps bringing up the one piece seal. Anyone know the p# for the silicone type seals?
Old 23 May 2016, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Have you checked with a dealer for the correct Mopar part, rather than aftermarket?
Old 23 May 2016, 11:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Have you checked with a dealer for the correct Mopar part, rather than aftermarket?
That's usually what I do, call my local dealer for the correct part number, then shop online for the best price for the genuine MOPAR parts.

When shopping online and even viewing dealer websites and their parts catalogs, sometimes the illustrations don't match the actual item. For instance, the intake gaskets for my PT are illustrated as a one-piece gasket, which is incorrect as 4 are required, so they are the individual silicone rings. So don't always believe what you see.

Last edited by rckstein; 23 May 2016 at 11:17 pm.
Old 24 May 2016, 06:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That's usually what I do, call my local dealer for the correct part number, then shop online for the best price for the genuine MOPAR parts.

When shopping online and even viewing dealer websites and their parts catalogs, sometimes the illustrations don't match the actual item. For instance, the intake gaskets for my PT are illustrated as a one-piece gasket, which is incorrect as 4 are required, so they are the individual silicone rings. So don't always believe what you see.
The parts dept. folks at my dealer are an ass about giving away P/N's. They'll give a quote on a part ($35 bucks for the gasket), but it's always "sorry, I can't give that info out" when I ask what the P/N is. Maybe i'll just role the dice and see what shows up when I order from a Mopar dealers website that ask's for a VIN. I can see part of the orange gasket on my car, but every damn site i go to gives me the one piece and when i try the orange P/N i get the "this does not fit your PT". Went to autozone and asked for the gasket and sure enough, he brought me the one piece. I did find one website that said the orange was correct for my year model with a VIN "E", but mine is a "8". I hate to pull everything apart and not have the right gasket. This will be about the 6th time the manifold has been off, so it should probably be replaced.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
The parts dept. folks at my dealer are an ass about giving away P/N's. They'll give a quote on a part ($35 bucks for the gasket), but it's always "sorry, I can't give that info out" when I ask what the P/N is. Maybe i'll just role the dice and see what shows up when I order from a Mopar dealers website that ask's for a VIN. I can see part of the orange gasket on my car, but every damn site i go to gives me the one piece and when i try the orange P/N i get the "this does not fit your PT". Went to autozone and asked for the gasket and sure enough, he brought me the one piece. I did find one website that said the orange was correct for my year model with a VIN "E", but mine is a "8". I hate to pull everything apart and not have the right gasket. This will be about the 6th time the manifold has been off, so it should probably be replaced.
Unless the upper is called something else, RockAuto shows the same.
2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Turbocharged Intake Manifold Gasket | RockAuto

Non Turbo takes this.
2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Plenum Gasket | RockAuto

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 24 May 2016 at 07:07 am.
Old 24 May 2016, 07:58 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Unless the upper is called something else, RockAuto shows the same.
2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Turbocharged Intake Manifold Gasket | RockAuto

Non Turbo takes this.
2008 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Plenum Gasket | RockAuto
I'm pretty sure that isn't correct and is exactly what grasshopper is complaining about. The turbo gasket they show is for the aluminum manifold. That is the one my '03 takes. The composite has the rings to mate the upper to lower, just like (not sure if they are identical, but they look the same) the non-turbo.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would simply recommend using fel pro.
This is the part number I use on composite Turbo Intake manifolds.

MS 93219

The reason that some parts stores and dealers do not give part numbers is they know why you are asking! And they do not want to be responsible for possible giving the wrong parts number.

The illustrated pictures often found on line are for a guide in most cases and should not be used as a definitive way to I.D. any parts.

When in doubt always call and talk to a sales rep or better to go to the manufactures web site and use their application guides.

Never install a part without matching it up to the old part.
Fk5 and LionPT like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 24 May 2016, 08:57 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Never install a part without matching it up to the old part.
This is excellent, if obvious advice. The trouble is, what do you do when you have already torn your manifold off and find out they gave you the wrong gasket? If you have another car you can make another parts run and/or get to work, if not it can be a rather major problem.
Old 24 May 2016, 09:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
This is excellent, if obvious advice. The trouble is, what do you do when you have already torn your manifold off and find out they gave you the wrong gasket? If you have another car you can make another parts run and/or get to work, if not it can be a rather major problem.
Well a couple suggestions.

Buy all the possibilities return the un-needed parts.

Get the VIN and if possible the engine block number and use them in addition with the vehicles year make and model when shopping for parts.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN