PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 PT Cruiser rough idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 May 2016, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 PT Cruiser rough idle

Hi,
I have a 2007 PT Cruiser (base model), non-turbo, 148000-km, just bought for my daughter as her first car.

Some of the history shared by the original owner:
- Two refurbished cam shafts installed at 120,000-km, at which time cam shaft seals were replaced along with timing belt and drive belts (unsure of the reason for the cam shaft replacement?*)

When I'm sitting at idle there is minor vibration. When I turn on the heat or AC the vibration increases, RPM's drop from 750/800 down to approx 600 and intermittently sputters then almost like it catches itself, picks up RPM again then repeats without any real consistency. I notice if I then turn the steering wheel (still in park at idle with heat/AC running) the RPM's drop even further and vibration again increases and sputters like its going to stall (so far hasn't stalled out, but close).

I' ve been doing some looking online and, like trying to look up personal health issues online, I get many different problems/solutions coming up for my symptoms.*

Theses are just a few of the suggestions I've seen repeatedly for the symptoms I've described:
Engine mounts
IAC valve
Spark plugs and wires
Compression test*

Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23 May 2016, 06:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Cruiser rough idle

on a pt i recently bought i had the jerking that you describe and the cutting out with full lock on, i fixed it first it got better but not fully cured with just plugs...then i changed leads and amazingly the jerking stopped! i still will buy a coil pack too though when i next go to parts store because i tested it with multimeter as per haynes instructions and it was showing as faulty too. oh and the old leads midLEADingly looked and felt fine!

(ps. my HT leads had 2001 written on the rubber so im guessing they were 15 years old) a tune up is really just that! like a girl getting her hair and nails done, she just feels and looks a lot better!

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl

Last edited by uncomn; 23 May 2016 at 06:09 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 23 May 2016, 07:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Since you just purchased it. I would change the plugs and wires as well as inspecting the torque struts. Even if the plugs and wires don't fix ur problem, at least u will have a good baseline for ur scheduled maintenance. Ive had the vibration issue/rough idle since I purchased it new. Recently I replaced the torque struts but it made the vibration worst, until I had the motor mount replaced. As soon as my new 8mm wires arrive, I'll replace and see if that smooths out the rest of the vibration and poor idle.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input folks.

Did some investigative work today and found several issues...

Spark plug well on #4 cylinder is FULL of oil - replacing valve cover gasket and spark plug well O-rings is on the list I guess (and will take the advice and replace plugs and wires too - coil pack checks out ok).

Also found that both upper and lower torque struts are shot - they too are on the list.

Throttle cable and cruise control cables have excessive slack in them - probably nothing to do with my vibration issue, but since I'm making a list, they're both gonna get replaced.

And I pulled the IAC valve and see that its quite dirty - imagine its original to the car, so it too is on the list.

Will do a compression check for sh*ts and giggles while I'm at it.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 25 May 2016, 09:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2007 View Post
I pulled the IAC valve and see that its quite dirty - imagine its original to the car, so it too is on the list.
I took Nitro's advice and sprayed mine down with an electrical component cleaner. It did a very nice job.

Tags
idle issue, idle problem, idle problem 2007 pt, rough idle