PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Battery is Loose?

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2016, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Battery is Loose?

I just bought a new battery for my PT. It's an Interstate MT-26R, and compared to my old battery, it sits super loose in the base (as if it were smaller?). The battery tech and I both tried to get it in tight but had no luck. Luckily, the proximity of the airbox keeps it from sliding forwards or back, but it can totally slide side to site a lot if it wants too. Did I do something wrong?
Old 24 May 2016, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New Battery is Loose?

Typically, the battery slides all the way forward in the tray and then you just slide in the adjustable rear plastic block agains the rear of the battery and tighten it down. The terminals should be facing forward with the positive terminal inboard and the ground terminal outboard.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCaptain View Post
I just bought a new battery for my PT. It's an Interstate MT-26R, and compared to my old battery, it sits super loose in the base (as if it were smaller?). The battery tech and I both tried to get it in tight but had no luck. Luckily, the proximity of the airbox keeps it from sliding forwards or back, but it can totally slide side to site a lot if it wants too. Did I do something wrong?
I've had that battery in my PT and it will mount securely. On the back side of the battery is the hold down, that can go one of two ways. The tech may have the hold down upside down. To change it, you will need to remove the air box to get to the hold down on the back side of the battery. Remove the bold and flip the hold down over, before tightening it all the way, push the battery all the way forward in the tray, then tighten the bolt, the battery should now be secure and not slide around.
JoeX and ptcruisersteve like this.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I've had that battery in my PT and it will mount securely. On the back side of the battery is the hold down, that can go one of two ways. The tech may have the hold down upside down. To change it, you will need to remove the air box to get to the hold down on the back side of the battery. Remove the bold and flip the hold down over, before tightening it all the way, push the battery all the way forward in the tray, then tighten the bolt, the battery should now be secure and not slide around.
I believe 1 side says "Euro" the other says "US".

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 May 2016, 09:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I believe 1 side says "Euro" the other says "US".
I knew it had markings, but couldn't remember what they were
Old 24 May 2016, 09:31 pm
Young Cruiser

You can just use an universal battery holder to secure it.
Old 24 May 2016, 11:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtime View Post
You can just use an universal battery holder to secure it.
The standard hold down works just fine. One thing I did have a shop tell me, was one of the best things that you can do for your battery, in hot climates, is to remove the insulating blanket that surrounds the battery.
Old 25 May 2016, 09:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Battery hold down? Mine doesn't have one. Would someone please post a picture of what it looks like so the next time I'm at the junkyard, I can look for one? Thanks

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 25 May 2016, 10:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Battery hold down? Mine doesn't have one. Would someone please post a picture of what it looks like so the next time I'm at the junkyard, I can look for one? Thanks
This is what the NA uses, it mounts at the bottom at the rear of the battery, there's a notch in the bottom of the battery that the hold down locks into:

GT uses a different type that clamps down across the top of the battery:
Fk5 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 25 May 2016 at 10:22 am.
Old 25 May 2016, 10:47 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I started to reply, but then saw that Mr. Stein had already posted. IIRC, you have an '03 GT like me. You should have the wire over the plastic topper version. It's all just one bolt.

If you don't have something holding it down, get one. A loose battery can cause all kinds of problems and stress the cables which are already a weak point. If it hops up and cracks the case you will have a huge mess. That acid eats everything and will tear up under your hood. I had one crack when it came loose while four wheeling in my Ramcharger. Paint on the hood and inner fenders is chewed up, my shirt was ruined and my hands were itchy for a week.
rckstein likes this.