Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jan 2003, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Brakes

Does anyone have any problems with their brakes being sqeaky? I have had my PT for a year and 2 months. And the brakes sound horrible. We had the tires balanced and rotated a week ago and they sound a little better but not much. I can't stand the sound. I have to turn up the radio just so I won't hear them every time I have to step on them. I didn't think that they should sound like this after only a year. The mechanics say there is nothing wrong with them. And that brakes will sound like that. And to just spray them with water when I was the car. Still doesn't help. I'm disappointed if this is normal. I like my PT but not if I have to deal with that sound. I had other cars for more years, that never had squeaky brakes like these.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Artemis

Old 08 Jan 2003, 10:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Artemis,

Can you narrow down to which wheel(s) are doing the squealing? Do you have drum brakes on the rear? Most drum brakes (specially on the rear) collect dust and this dust causes the squealing. Just taking off the drum and cleaning it usually clears up the squealing noise until the dust builds up again. The only way I know of to stop the noise is to replace the OEM brake shoes with a different brand. Of course if you have disk brakes all the way round, that a different story.

Old 11 Jan 2003, 03:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to PT4MYQT

You can purchase silicone lubricant at most auto parts stores. Use it on the backs of the pads as directed and your rbakes will nto squeak. usually a shop will put this on if you bring it in complaining of the noise, they are correct though, most car's breaks should make some noise if not lubed.

Old 11 Jan 2003, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

I've owned a lot of cars over the last 40 years and only 2 ever had brake noise. Both were the front disc brakes. Many OEM pads have a lot of metal impregnated in the pads and this will cause squealing. The brakes work fine but sound terrible. I replaced the OEM pads with good quality aftermarket pads and the noise went away. Under normal conditions brakes should make little or no noise. Sometimes after washing a car and letting it set for a while a light coating of rust will build up on the rotors. This will cause noise when you first start driving but will stop once the rust has scuffed off. If you are a brake rider your brakes may be worn past the wear limits. You should pull the wheels and check the wear limits and or replace the pads. Our PT is a year old now with no noise at all.
Silver L/E 5-Speed

Old 13 Jan 2003, 11:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

my wifes 2002 can have some noise in the rear brakes its the dust

Old 14 Jan 2003, 01:06 am
Fanatic Cruiser

This might help. Do disc brakes as already described. On drum brakes apply a small spot of wheel bearing grease to the areas where the shoes rub on the backing plate.

Edited by - 2sb on 01/13/2003 23:08:18
Old 14 Jan 2003, 11:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

do the shoes rub on the backing plate??