Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C charged but not blowing cold air?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2016, 09:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default A/C charged but not blowing cold air?

Sorry for starting a new thread right after joining. I searched around for a bit, but didn't find what I was looking for. I have a 2007 PT and I charged the A/C yesterday and I got it from about 10 to showing a full load. But the air is still blowing warm. It sounds like the compressor is working, as I can hear the compressor kicking on and then off about every 30-45 seconds (from what I read so far, this is normal), but still warm. Not sure what to try next. Any tips? Thanks all!
Old 28 May 2016, 09:52 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: A/C charged but not blowing cold air?

Did it ever work..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 May 2016, 09:55 am
Young Cruiser

Good question - I don't honestly know. I have owned it for about a year and a half, but rarely used the AC. I usually just ride with the windows down, but my wife will be driving it more this summer and she wants the AC to work. I assume that it worked when it was new?
Old 28 May 2016, 10:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but the button by the red arrow is pushed in & lights up...??

AC.jpg

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 May 2016, 10:08 am
Young Cruiser

HA! Yeah, I did check that. At first I did not have it on recycle, but it is turned all the way cold, and the A/C light is on (button pressed).
Old 28 May 2016, 11:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Have you tried just driving it a few miles to see if it gets better? Sitting and idling won't make it get anywhere near the temp you want. The air flow over the condenser really helps one to stay cool. It's kind of like sitting in traffic with it on as opposed to cruising down the interstate with it on. Mine gets so cold on the interstate, that my wife has to turn the temp up. She gets cold and I just piss her off and tell her to close the vents on her side!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 May 2016, 12:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Similar issue on my '05, fully charged but not blowing. Had my service place do a dye test, apparently a common issue is the seals go bad around 2 of the hoses, known commonly as the AC refrigerant hose or liquid line hose, and AC suction line hose. Said my schrader valve could be a cause too, but that type of repair isn't known until taking parts off according to shop. Mine is a turbo so my part nos won't help, but the o-ring seals are needed too. It was a small fortune to have done @ a service center, they sent me to a radiator shop who thinks they can fix the lines with new seals, much cheaper. Taking in next week to see if a fix is possible, found new lines cheapest at Rockauto if they are needed, don't know yet.

So bottom line, call around to see who can do an AC leak or dye test if unable to do it yourself, then go from there. My AC worked fine, then just didn't, unfortunately it happens. Hopefully this bit of info you'll find helpful. Good luck, post an update once fixed.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 28 May 2016, 12:30 pm
Young Cruiser

The engine was at operating temps when I charged it, but I am going for a drive in a bit, so I will see what happens. And for the leak test, that might be next. I saw some dye kits available, so if I can't get it to charge, I may start swapping hoses or do the dye test next.
Old 28 May 2016, 06:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Had something like this with my '01.
The shop diagnosed it as a bad radiator fan and wanted $400.
I paid their $35 and replace the fan myself.
Old 28 May 2016, 08:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS View Post
Had something like this with my '01.
The shop diagnosed it as a bad radiator fan and wanted $400.
I paid their $35 and replace the fan myself.
Any other symptoms that you experienced? I am wondering if I should just try replacing the radiator fan and see if that works? I drove it on the highway quite a bit today and the A/C never got cold.