PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Getting error codes to completely clear after PCM reset?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 May 2016, 10:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Getting error codes to completely clear after PCM reset?

So, this is a long story, I'll make it short. Our PCM is giving the emissions people false error codes. In the last couple years, my husband takes it to the mechanic, the mechanic resets the thing--so the engine light goes off. He tells us to wait 24-48 hrs for the "history" or whatever to clear completely, then we go to emissions, pass and can register our vehicle.

Well, this last time, there was a new code--a "fatal" error code that the mechanic couldn't clear. The car runs beautifully. We are told, in order to get registered (we are expired now) we will have to pay $1200 to replace the pcm. We instead tried 3 different refurbished ones--only one actually made it into our car before we had to get a refund for various reasons. That one that we put in the car made the car run really rough, bad exhaust, etc. So we took it out and put the old one back in. And engine light is OFF!

Now, we have been told different stories--- wait 24-48 hrs. before going to emissions, drive 150 miles before going to emisssions (and don't get caught with expired plates), or do this song and rain dance combo of at lease 5 full driving cycles.

What is the truth and if it's driving cycles, how do we find the specific type needed for our particular vehicle?

Thanks for anyone's help!!
Old 28 May 2016, 11:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Getting error codes to completely clear after PCM reset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaliaPrime View Post
So, this is a long story, I'll make it short. Our PCM is giving the emissions people false error codes. In the last couple years, my husband takes it to the mechanic, the mechanic resets the thing--so the engine light goes off. He tells us to wait 24-48 hrs for the "history" or whatever to clear completely, then we go to emissions, pass and can register our vehicle.

Well, this last time, there was a new code--a "fatal" error code that the mechanic couldn't clear. The car runs beautifully. We are told, in order to get registered (we are expired now) we will have to pay $1200 to replace the pcm. We instead tried 3 different refurbished ones--only one actually made it into our car before we had to get a refund for various reasons. That one that we put in the car made the car run really rough, bad exhaust, etc. So we took it out and put the old one back in. And engine light is OFF!

Now, we have been told different stories--- wait 24-48 hrs. before going to emissions, drive 150 miles before going to emisssions (and don't get caught with expired plates), or do this song and rain dance combo of at lease 5 full driving cycles.

What is the truth and if it's driving cycles, how do we find the specific type needed for our particular vehicle?

Thanks for anyone's help!!
We are her to help but first , if you would introduce your self and tell us a little about your PT , year, model, mileage. Thank you.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 28 May 2016, 11:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Getting error codes to completely clear after PCM reset?

I don't know the procedure or where you live, but if it were mine and the light is off, I'd haul ass to the inspection center and get it done. Maybe it's just a faulty connection in the pcm connector. Check all of the pins on the pcm and all of the plug receivers in the pcm plug for tight fit and full contact. One of the pins could be pushed in some.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
clear codes, clear history, pcm ecm, pcm reset