Advertisements
Engine shifted

Like Tree16Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 May 2016, 01:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine shifted

Hello, I am working on my 06 Cruisers timing belt and head gasket. I am still tearing down the car and am getting incredibly frustrated at the little clearance I have to get the engine mount of the passenger side of the car. I took out the middle bolt and upper/lower torque struts and now after jacking the engine up and down a few times it is completely out of place and appears to have crept to the passenger side. There is zero chance of me getting the mounting bolts out or the plate at this point without a change of strategy...

Has anyone backed themselves into a corner like this before?
Old 31 May 2016, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine shifted

It shouldn't be that hard.

First, make sure you have a wide and thick piece of wood under the oil pan to avoid damaging it. Let the engine down far enough that you can move it back and forth with your hand. Then jack back up slowly while gently swinging the engine back and forth freely. If the engine binds, figure out what is binding, free it up and try again.

I was able to jack my GT engine up this high by the method described with the AC and exhaust still connected. And from there, the front plate is fairly easy to remove. Also, by being able to still move the engine back and forth, I could get to many bolts much easier.

Old 31 May 2016, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If members decide to follow some none factory short cut procedure of repair instead of the safe and factory recommended procedure remember it only takes a split second and you have broken your AC line and expelled all your refrigerant or damaged other parts on the engine.

Sometimes taking a little more time to do it by the book (factory Service manuals) is just a better way to do repairs on any vehicle.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 May 2016, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lynn, Nick529 has already shifted the engine over where it's impossible (according to him) to get the mounting bolts out. It's a just a little late to start going by the book to fix his problem and a little ingenuity is probably needed to correct it. Telling someone "I told you so" doesn't help what's already been done. He's looking for a little help. Telling him to follow the service manual now doesn't.
Old 31 May 2016, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That would be an assumption on you part Carey? My safety and caution warning recommendation is sound and logical advise. Even at the point of having problems as the OP indicated you can still easily evacuate the AC and disconnect the AC lines/hose and also discounted and remove other parts and components to do the mount removal and installation correctly.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 31 May 2016, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Carey you should really re-read your own response? How would you react if another member used the verbiage that you did. At no point did I say "I told you so"!

When has advising and responding that doing things correctly and safely is not in the best interest of this forum and the members reading it?. LOL

Please lets leave these responses and let the members of this forum be the judge what they want to determine is the best technique for doing repairs to their PT Cruiser!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 May 2016 at 07:23 pm. Reason: To the PM
Old 31 May 2016, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Lynn, Nick529 has already shifted the engine over where it's impossible (according to him) to get the mounting bolts out. It's a just a little late to start going by the book to fix his problem and a little ingenuity is probably needed to correct it. Telling someone "I told you so" doesn't help what's already been done. He's looking for a little help. Telling him to follow the service manual now doesn't.
Carey,
When I see threads like this its good to know what would keep incidents like this from happening again. Leaving components attached to the engine can certainly control how the engine is possibly being moved including going sideways instead of straight up and down. With little room to work with as it is its very obvious that its better to have as much clearance by removing A/C hoses, etc so we have the clearance we need to put the engine back where it belongs. This is why the factory manual was written for this reason and why I use it all the time. Sometimes when I do a repair on my PT Cruisers I start doing it and realize I need to look at the factory manual to make sure I am doing the repair the proper way.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 31 May 2016 at 10:49 pm.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 04:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree 100%. The problem is, in this particular case, the job was already started and now Nick529 has got himself in a place where he needs help. Telling him he should have used the manual in the first place doesn't really help. He needs help from this point, not how to start over. That's all I was trying to say.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I understand that not everyone can do things the way I do them. If doing this same job, I would have also not even lifted the engine but instead removed the camshaft sprockets leaving the timing components in place. I did a write up on this procedure earlier this year. That would make head replacement a much easier job.

Service manuals were written so they could be followed by technicians in their mid 20's and six months to a year of formal training. Two of my son's friends are these guys. It's a little scary to think they work on cars worth $40K or more. However, if they follow the service manual and use the special tools called out and with oversight from more seasoned techs or managers, they can do good work the vast majority of the time.

This is a very different scenario than someone working on a 10-plus year old car in their drive way with limited tools and resources. And don't be naive enough to think NitroPT or most other freelance technicians always follow the service manual. There are often faster and even better ways to perform some tasks. However, the risk can be greater. As an example, properly discharging and recharging an AC system can be very expensive if you do not have your own AC equipment. Taking steps to avoid breaking open the AC system is sometimes very beneficial and often may out way the risks. While this risk may not be acceptable on a customer's $40K car, it may well be acceptable on a $3K PT Cruiser that you own yourself.

Reminding someone that there are good service manuals available for the PT Cruiser can be very beneficial. However, recommending to only follow the service manual while a member is already half-way through the job and already outside the service manual's intended scope, is not. It's just an over-obvious response when the responder has nothing better to offer himself and instead wants to discount the advice offered by others.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jun 2016 at 07:22 am.
Old 01 Jun 2016, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I understand that not everyone can do things the way I do them. If doing this same job, I would have also not even lifted the engine but instead removed the camshaft sprockets leaving the timing components in place. I did a write up on this procedure earlier this year. That would make head replacement a much easier job.

Service manuals were written so they could be followed by technicians in their mid 20's and six months to a year of formal training. Two of my son's friends are these guys. It's a little scary to think they work on cars worth $40K or more. However, if they follow the service manual and use the special tools called out and with oversight from more seasoned techs or managers, they can do good work the vast majority of the time.

This is a very different scenario than someone working on a 10-plus year old car in their drive way with limited tools and resources. And don't be naive enough to think NitroPT or most other freelance technicians always follow the service manual. There are often faster and even better ways to perform some tasks. However, the risk can be greater. As an example, properly discharging and recharging an AC system can be very expensive if you do not have your own AC equipment. Taking steps to avoid breaking open the AC system is sometimes very beneficial and often may out way the risks. While this risk may not be acceptable on a customer's $40K car, it may well be acceptable on a $3K PT Cruiser that you own yourself.

Reminding someone that there are good service manuals available for the PT Cruiser can be very beneficial. However, recommending to only follow the service manual while a member is already half-way through the job and already outside the service manual's intended scope, is not. It's just an over-obvious response when the responder has nothing better to offer himself and instead wants to discount the advice offered by others.
If someone does not know what is the proper way to do the job then that person can look at the factory manual and have a better idea of what went wrong and what can be done to fix it. Unless we are physically there its hard for us to determine what went wrong. Its always good to be reminded to look at the factory manual if its been a while since we have done that repair.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.