PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CEL Driving me nuts!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2016, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry CEL Driving me nuts!

Hello everybody I am a newbie member and PT Cruiser owner or at least my wife is the owner but im the one who has to repair the car

I have been trawling through the forum for the last few weeks trying to solve an issue.

The CEL came on and threw up a few codes 0100, 0400, 0303 are the main ones and another refering to the turbo but the PT is a 2.4l non turbo so ddon't get that one.

Anyway..........i changed the injector rail, the MAP sensor, new plugs and leads........the 0303 code has gone but the CEL come back with 15-20 mins.

My question to you more experienced PT people is if therd is no EGR valve on a 2005 model then could the remaining problem be o2 sensors instead, as per 0400 EGR code?

Sorry if im asking the stupidly obvious but im ready to start banging my head on the garage wall

Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 02 Jun 2016, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CEL Driving me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikksue View Post
Hello everybody I am a newbie member and PT Cruiser owner or at least my wife is the owner but im the one who has to repair the car

I have been trawling through the forum for the last few weeks trying to solve an issue.

The CEL came on and threw up a few codes 0100, 0400, 0303 are the main ones and another refering to the turbo but the PT is a 2.4l non turbo so ddon't get that one.

Anyway..........i changed the injector rail, the MAP sensor, new plugs and leads........the 0303 code has gone but the CEL come back with 15-20 mins.

My question to you more experienced PT people is if therd is no EGR valve on a 2005 model then could the remaining problem be o2 sensors instead, as per 0400 EGR code?

Sorry if im asking the stupidly obvious but im ready to start banging my head on the garage wall

Thanks in advance

Mike
I think the reason no one has answered is because the some of the engine trouble codes may not exist on the resources I have. What database is telling you what P0100 and P0400 is?

I would suggest you reset the engine trouble codes with an OBDII Scan tool and post what codes come up next.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jun 2016 at 10:22 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 09:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

+1 for what's been said.

Get yourself a cheap scan tool that will clear the code. Use to clear the codes and then drive the PT. When the light comes back on, use the scan tool to read the codes. Then report them back here and we will see if we can help.

Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

Code Reader - CAN OBDII Multilingual Code Reader

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...?checkfit=true

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jun 2016 at 09:18 am.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi guys

Thanks for the initial replies. I have reset the CEL and deleted the codes. The light comes back on within about 10 mins after start up. I have done: New plugs, wires and MAP sensor. using the key system the Cruiser throws up
P0303 and then done.

I assume that its a Cylinder 3 misfire like many more before me on the site.

So......need to check coil pack etc but could it also be o2 sensors or cat?

The damn thing runs like a million bucks just keeps throwing up the code after clearing.

For the record it's a 2005 2.4l non turbo with 75k on the clock.

My wife loves it so I gotta sort it out
Old 05 Jun 2016, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You might try swapping plug wires 2 and 3 and see if you get a different code. Or just replace the plug wires because you will need to remove the intake manifold anyway for the swap. But doing the swap may save you having to buy a set if nothing changes.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 04:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 10 Nov 2016 at 07:36 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The knowledgeable ones here may think this suggestion is nuts, nonetheless I suggest cleaning your idle air control valve (and throttle body).

My NA 2004 was setting a P0301 regularly (rough idle at times), returning after seeming success with fuel line (injector) cleaner.

Running, the car was fine; I was thinking an injector was sticking after sitting for days because I drive infrequently.
Also, as the problem began with a tankful of bio-fuel gasoline, I assumed fuel not spark. The nearly new #1 spark plug looked normal when I pulled it.
I do have a simple code reader/ re-setter.

However until I cleaned my visibly dirty IAC valve, the P0301 persistently returned over a number of tanks with lots of fuel-system cleaner added.

(Speculation: The changes in manifold vacuum as the throttle body butterfly opens and closes causes back-flow bringing the oily-mist in manifold (from the PCV system) into the throttle body/ IAC valve).
+1 .....
Old 05 Jun 2016, 09:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

If he is getting turbo codes and the car is non-turbo, is it possible his ECU was swapped out before he obtained the car with the wrong ECU? If the ECU is throwing turbo codes then that is what the ECU is looking for?
podo2000 likes this.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
If he is getting turbo codes and the car is non-turbo, is it possible his ECU was swapped out before he obtained the car with the wrong ECU? If the ECU is throwing turbo codes then that is what the ECU is looking for?
Since the turbo code that was mentioned did not come back after resetting the DTC's it's not confirmed that it actually triggered a specific turbo code and most likely is a generic code just like the P0100 and P0400 that is not in some of the databases for reference on PT Cruisers. Low battery voltage will trigger these generic codes and this is why we suggest resetting these generic codes to see if they come back. But Alan did raise a good point on why it did trigger a generic turbo code if it is a non-turbo. Good catch!
podo2000 likes this.
Old 07 Jun 2016, 07:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Guys

I want to firstly thank everyone for there help and advice. I have been involved with several forums over the years and the Cruiser one is by far the best .

Ok, so far......new plugs and leads, replaced injector rail, new MAP sensor.

I clear the 303 code from the system and switch off CEL light but it returns within 10-15 mins.

All the other codes as reported originally now do not come up on the car, just 303 and done!

The car had its emission test yesterday and passed easily if this helps any further.

Had to change the suspension arm.......but that's another story!

Any more clues or pointers would be great........I'm thinking possible o2 sensors, coil pack or what about a good valve clean (seafoam) ??

Cheers

Mike