Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replace A/C Fan Module 5179470AA ?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2016, 12:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Replace A/C Fan Module 5179470AA ?

Just got back from my local Chrysler Dealer for a non working A/C problem. It took less then an hour and cost me $125.00 for the report. They told me the A/C pressure was very high, and found the fan module was not coming on. The power and grounds to the fan module were fine. They told me the system will turn off the compressor if the A/C system pressure gets to high, and it was internal failure in the fan module. They want $648. & tax for a OEM part w/install out the door, and $288. was the module. After checking around, I found I could buy an aftermarket from Dorman (#620052) for $91.88 shipped, or TYC (#621240) for $77.78 shipped. Now for the question....I'm a car guy, and know my way around a work bench, but I'm not a mechanic. Can I do this job in my driveway? Is there a 'How To' that I can follow? Since I'm on SS, I can fix it for less money if I do it myself. Thanks for your help!
Old 03 Jun 2016, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replace A/C Fan Module 5179470AA ?

With just a little work for probably under 2 hours, you can do it yourself. Here's my HOW TO from this forum but the internet is full of video's on how to do it yourself. A lot of us went with the lifetime warranty Dorman fan. No special tools but a decent set of wrenches and you got to be able to get under the car for a couple of the bolts of the fan and to take the electrical connection off.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 03 Jun 2016, 01:05 pm
Banned

Just to give you a second opinion on the repair, I had the fan on my PT replaced recently at Goodyear for about that same amount. They used a NAPA fan. However, even though the NAPA fan has a lifetime warranty, because it was installed through Goodyear you don't get the advantage of the lifetime warranty as Goodyear provides a 2 year warranty on the work. The fan you have installed through the dealer will only have a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. But I live in an apartment complex and can't do work on the property. The job will be a little messy as you have to break the top radiator hose so you may lose some coolant.

If you go back through the dealer, you might see if they will apply the $125 disgnostic to the repair. Some shops will do that, others any diagnostic is a separate fee.

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jun 2016 at 01:10 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 01:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If you go back through the dealer, you might see if they will apply the $125 disgnostic to the repair. Some shops will do that, others any diagnostic is a separate fee.
Dealers and shops charge for a diagnostic? What, a simple 'read the codes' diagnostic? That you can get at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone or other car parts places?!

The place I go to most definitely does not. They've run a diagnostic with the computer for me and charged me nothing, whether a code was flung up or not. They're also very honest and won't do work that isn't warranted. I was told by a different shop I needed a new engine last year. Before they ordered same, they took down the engine and had a thorough look round - it so happens you cannot inspect the flex plate unless you do this, and it was then that they spotted a big old crack through it. So what could have cost $5,000 and then some cost less than $1,000 - because that shop is a) thorough and b) honest.

They also tell me they have a LOT of PT Cruisers go through there with the same troubles I have been having. When I called and said I thought I needed a new lower speed fan, he chuckled and said he knew exactly what I meant and he would check it out on Monday and replace it if needed. I love the fact that I can walk out of there having had a sensor or minor part replaced and it cost me less than or a hair over a hundred bucks. Sure, if I could do the work myself it would cost me the part and my time, but to be sure it is done right and with the limitations that I have, it's worth the extra to have a good and reliable job done. Plus I think because there have been so many little niggly things lately, they tend to be kind to me!

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippysChick View Post
Dealers and shops charge for a diagnostic? What, a simple 'read the codes' diagnostic? That you can get at Advance Auto Parts or Autozone or other car parts places?!
A simple code read through the OBD connector is nothing. A scan through this may just give the tech some general areas to look at for the problem. Say you took your car to a shop and merely told them it was overheating. That just gives them a symptom, but they may have to look at numerous items all related to find the exact problem. That would be a disgnostic. Most shops will charge for a diagnostic, because they know that some people will then elect to so somplace cheaper for the final repair. Some shops, if you have the repair done with them, will apply the diagnostic fee towards the final repair bill, because they want to keep your business, but some shops won't and it can be a separate fee in addition to the final repair.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

A bad fan won't be diagnosed with a code unless one of the relay coils opened up. A failed relay or worn brush <- most likely problem will not throw a diagnostic code. An hour's worth of shop time is reasonable to figure out the fan is bad.

Replacing the radiator fan assembly is pretty easy if you watch a number of Youtube videos and pick and choose the best ideas. Just do a search on "PT Cruiser radiator fan replacement".

To get to the fan, you need to disconnect the upper radiator hose. If you drain (and save if you wish) some coolant, you will be able to disconnect the hose without having fluid drain and splash inside the engine compartment.

Removing the engine compartment "gasket", grille frame, grille, hood latch and upper radiator hose from the radiator, the fan comes out very easily. Getting to the side bolts is easier from the bottom than from the top. Same for the electrical plug.
Here are a couple of vids on the replacement:

This guy disconnects the cable as he's removing the fan
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't have to take off the hood latch. Just keep it attached and move the upper support away.

Old 03 Jun 2016, 03:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good tip!
One less thing to worry about when taking it apart. If you could only remove the center brace, you could lean the radiator out even more to get better clearance from the upper radiator hose fitting without damaging the radiator fins.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Good tip!
One less thing to worry about when taking it apart. If you could only remove the center brace, you could lean the radiator out even more to get better clearance from the upper radiator hose fitting without damaging the radiator fins.

Not sure if I'm understanding you properly but I DID take out the center horizontal brace to let the radiator lean forward. Let me tell you, that brace one about the hardest thing there was to take off. The 4 10mm bolts (2 on each end) were almost completely hidden by the side/edges of the supports. That was before I bought a set of ratcheting wrenches that let you turn a bolt without lifting off from the bolt top.

The thin vertical center brace would bend enough to let the radiator move about 2-4 inches and give plenty of room to work or if I remember correctly, the vertical brace comes off pretty easy with the bottom vertical brace. Either way, I had plenty of wiggle room with the radiator when the braces were gone. Hard to remember since it back in 2009.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jun 2016 at 04:56 pm.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 05:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yes, that's what I meant.

I didn't know that the brace holding it was removable. Taking that off to let the radiator lean further would make things even easier. Sometimes doing a little extra work to give you more room actually saves time.

Last Saturday I replaced the timing belt on my 08 Outback and the work I did by removing the radiator/fans gave me tons of room and made the belt/pulley/water pump swap a piece of cake for someone who's never done anything like that before (if you call 6 hours in the sun "piece of cake" )