PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle when ac is turned on

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough idle when ac is turned on

I have a 2009 pt and when I idle with ac on engine almost dies, turn ac off and it runs fine. When driving ac works great and car runs fine only when I idle does it almost die. I was told I need a new high speed fan and the whole unit needs to be replaced as its an all in one unit and the unit cost like between 3 and 5 hundred..and to get to it the front grill has to come off. Does this sound right?
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle when ac is turned on

if your PT is not a Turbo the fan is under $100 at rock auto it will be complete with relays and it will have two speeds if however your PT IS a turbo yes them fans are pricey
changing the fan is under 2 hours with basic tools and skills and no the front grill does not have to come off but even if it does it just I think 4 screws that hold the middle section on since yours is a 2009 im thinking it is a NON TURBO
podo2000 likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
if your PT is not a Turbo the fan is under $100 at rock auto it will be complete with relays and it will have two speeds if however your PT IS a turbo yes them fans are pricey
changing the fan is under 2 hours with basic tools and skills and no the front grill does not have to come off but even if it does it just I think 4 screws that hold the middle section on since yours is a 2009 im thinking it is a NON TURBO
Taking the front grill off is a non factor in changing the Radiator Cooling /AC Condensing (two speed fan)for Non Turbo. 4 little bolts at the top and there are hooks at the bottom, it just lifts out. 6 bolts to remove the top center section and two bolts for the hood release mechanism. Probably have to disconnect the top radiator hose with very little loss of coolant tie it back out of the way. (Two bolts for the fan along the top and maybe two on each side but a bit tougher to get to.
Remove the wiring harness connector and The fan lifts out with a little effort to pull the radiator toward you to make enough room.

I'd do that any day for a few hundred $
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 03 Jun 2016, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Suggest also taking out the battery and the battery support plate. This will give you more room to get the radiator fan out without damaging anything.
rckstein likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info, it is not a turbo and sounds like its easy to replace as long as I buy the right part. I will check rock auto.
Gkon likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rock auto is the place to go and truly it is a easy DIY id get the complete fan it comes with relays and everything plug and play
Gkon likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 12:48 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguerafter View Post
Thanks for the info, it is not a turbo and sounds like its easy to replace as long as I buy the right part. I will check rock auto.
I just replaced mine 5 minutes ago. It took me 3 hours and I learned from the YouTube video. You definitely should watch it.
I am a noon and have never done much work beyond oil changes and audio upgrades.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

I got the tyc fan with relays and the four prongs. I hear all 2nd generation use the 4 prongs with relays. To be sure lift the car and look underneath the fan/radiator by the drivers side. You will most likely see a 3 prong as well as a 4 prongs.

Don't get the spectra premium. I just returned my second unit because rockauto.com accidentally sent me the one for 3 prong. Probably just an inventory issue which I am sure they will fix soon. The spectra premium did look much higher quality than the tyc brand though. Wish I got the right 4 prongs version.
CREWZIN likes this.
Old 05 Sep 2016, 09:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguerafter View Post
I have a 2009 pt and when I idle with ac on engine almost dies, turn ac off and it runs fine. When driving ac works great and car runs fine only when I idle does it almost die. I was told I need a new high speed fan and the whole unit needs to be replaced as its an all in one unit and the unit cost like between 3 and 5 hundred..and to get to it the front grill has to come off. Does this sound right?
My wife's 2007 PT- non turbo- has this idling problem with the AC on. I was just wondering if you replaced the fan/relay unit, and did it really fix the problem?
Old 05 Sep 2016, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORCITYBADBOY View Post
My wife's 2007 PT- non turbo- has this idling problem with the AC on. I was just wondering if you replaced the fan/relay unit, and did it really fix the problem?
Any engine trouble codes? If so what are they?

Is your high speed working on your radiator fan? When the engine is cold, just start the engine, turn the A/C on and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically. If it does not come on your high speed on the radiator fan is not coming on. You will need to check the high speed on the radiator fan by applying 12 volts to it to confirm it's bad.
Old 05 Sep 2016, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Any engine trouble codes? If so what are they?

Is your high speed working on your radiator fan? When the engine is cold, just start the engine, turn the A/C on and see if the radiator fan comes on automatically. If it does not come on your high speed on the radiator fan is not coming on. You will need to check the high speed on the radiator fan by applying 12 volts to it to confirm it's bad.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes the fan is coming on and seems to be running strong. We get an intermittent code reading cyl 4 misfire. I cant clear it but it seems to clear itself after several cycles. I thinks it's from the idle being so slow with AC on and in gear... like at a red light.