PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
umbrella size hole where the exhaust cam

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2016, 06:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default umbrella size hole where the exhaust cam

I purchased a rebuilt cylinder head from O'rielly's auto parts store well we now have the rebuilt head on the block and we first noticed a upside down umbrella hole on the head where the valve cover meets so we went back to the store and they gave me a rubber gasket piece from a Mitsubishi gasket set the guy told me that Mitsubishi and dodge combined some things between engines during the early Cruiser time he said I have no clue about that but anyways the rubber gasket fits good so I was going to put some gasket maker sealer on it and be done. But can anyone here tell me why that came with a hole and not complete like my original one was?? And I noticed that there probably is supposed to be something in between the end of the camshaft and the camshaft sensor am I right? Well mine dont have one there now or was I supposed to take the one out of my other head? Pictures of both places I'm talking about Hope I didn't **** this up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0058.jpg (92.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0071.jpg (96.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0073.jpg (95.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 05 Jun 2016, 06:32 pm
Banned

Default Re: umbrella size hole where the exhaust cam

You need the target magnet for the cam sensor, it's about a $15-$25 item for a MOPAR one. Did they already dispose of your old head? If not, you may be able to go back and get it.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Jun 2016 at 09:31 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 06:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NOW you gotta ask what size screw holds the Target Magnet in.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jun 2016 at 06:44 pm.
Old 05 Jun 2016, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's my write up on this.

The Handy Camshaft Sensor Change Out

Also, remember that a 2001/2002 PT uses a different cam sensor magnet than the 2003 and later models. Make sure to get the right one.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Jun 2016 at 08:48 pm.
Old 06 Jun 2016, 03:45 am
Regular Cruiser

OK. Now what kinda bolt\screw is holding the magnet into the cam? Nope they already sent the old head back, this sucks I never done something like getting a rebuilt head this is all new to me but I'm learning really fast from it.

Last edited by Bandit2014; 06 Jun 2016 at 03:52 am.
Old 06 Jun 2016, 04:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
OK. Now what kinda bolt\screw is holding the magnet into the cam? Nope they already sent the old head back, this sucks I never done something like getting a rebuilt head this is all new to me but I'm learning really fast from it.
It's a special bolt with a tapered Torx head. You can see it in this photo from my write up:

You really need to use this specific bolt because of the way the tapered head fits into the magnet. If your local Chrysler dealer doesn't have one, the next best place to get one is likely going to be a salvage yard. All PT's plus many Stratus's, Sebrings and a number of other cars with the 2.4 engine use this same bolt.
Old 06 Jun 2016, 07:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It's a special bolt with a tapered Torx head. You can see it in this photo from my write up:

You really need to use this specific bolt because of the way the tapered head fits into the magnet. If your local Chrysler dealer doesn't have one, the next best place to get one is likely going to be a salvage yard. All PT's plus many Stratus's, Sebrings and a number of other cars with the 2.4 engine use this same bolt.
Thanks. I was planning on going to the salvage yard this Saturday I was going to pick one of those up then, "too much from dealer and it will take too long to get". Would you happen to know what this little square black box that's located on the same side of the head as the cam sensor but at the back of the head and the black box case has a fuse type tab sticking out one side that a long skinny plug plugs into that silver tab. What do you guys think that would be because I left mine on my other head and I can't find what it is so I can get another one for it? Thanks guys
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 08:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit2014 View Post
But can anyone here tell me why that came with a hole and not complete like my original one was??
The hole is there so the factory could bore the cam journal bearing bores-
The piece was aluminum from 1995-~2006, then went to some type of plastic.
I'd have no idea why they would've removed it, unless they cut the top of the head, then re-bored the holes to fix warpage.

The piece you're describing in your last post is a capacitor to take 'noise' out of the alternator or coil- IIRC it's a Green wire w/ Orange tracer. It's not essential, but is 'hot', so don't let it ground to anything before you find another.

As Handy astutely pointed out, they switched to NGC controller in '03, so it FUBARs most controls. Ensure your donor PT/Stratus/Cirrus has the crank sensor in the same spot before you grab the magnet.

AND, you better hope to God the clowns gave you the correct cam-
There is an ID chart floating around somewhere.

There's also supposed to be 'anaerobic' sealant under the front cam cap and the #5 intake cam cap, not silicone. I don't know what will happen, if anything.

Last, the PT/Neon head is an *Excellent* piece and rarely need to be rebuilt- a flat one from the junkyard nearly always has sufficient service life to replace a warped head. The cams, rockers and adjusters are nearly absolutely bulletproof and just about never need to be replaced.

As we see in this man's case, there's great confusion even at this point, and we aren't even at the point of trying to get it running . The head is one place where the old mechanic's saying "new is new, and good id good" is certainly true.

I do have tons of cams and, of course, magnets if you don't have luck. USPS would be a couple days, you're outside the next day zone for MN
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Jun 2016 at 09:46 pm. Reason: Keeping the peace
Old 09 Jun 2016, 09:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSport View Post

AND, you better hope to God the clowns gave you the correct cam-
There is an ID chart floating around somewhere, I'd suggest a source but the blabbermouth would come in and take over the thread and get it locked.

I do have tons of cams and, of course, magnets if you don't have luck. USPS would be a couple days, you're outside the next day zone for MN
Ted, I suppose are talking about the Dowell Pin and Cam Sensor position. Yes this is important because if you do not get the same cam that came with your engine regarding the pin location you would need to modify the cam sensor to
re-position it to work.

I have the Chart and have posted only edited portions of it a few times on the forum.

The problem with the empirical documentation is that it could killed a few forum myths having to do with the PT Cruiser/NEON and SRT relationships.

Last edited by NitroPT; 09 Jun 2016 at 09:53 pm. Reason: Keeping the peace.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 11:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I also have the chart Lynn has. But it's far from correct when it comes to PT Cruisers.

During my survey on this of what is now many PT Cruisers, I've never found a deviation on the camshaft sensor magnet dowel orientation on 2003 and newer PT Cruisers. It's only found on the older engines. And there I've now seen it about a dozen times. This is very easy to check on salvage cars with the 2.4L engine because the cam sensors go bad so often, most get removed quickly from salvage cars. So it's just a matter of checking crank position and then looking.

The problem is as UpTownSport has described, you have to watch when getting replacement camshafts. Many of these older camshafts have the same casting and same part number as the newer ones. So a reseller may not know what is being sold if they are unaware of this issue.

I called Crower about this a while back. They said that they have both dowel holes positions drilled into each intake camshaft blank. So it's just a matter of matching the position on the OEM camshaft. The accuracy of their camshaft chart then doesn't really matter as long as you have the OEM cams as a reference.