Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fan wont turn on/ac wont work at idle (hear compressor click)/temp shows ok

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2016, 12:42 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Fan wont turn on/ac wont work at idle (hear compressor click)/temp shows ok

Okay so main issue was that the ac stopped working at idle. I hear the compressor try to start something. Like it spools up and it won't start. It will only blow air from outside. Not cooled.

I read the links as much as I could and I thought it was a bad fan. I bought a tyc one with the 4 prongs and relays. Ac does now work at idle but I never saw the fan turn on. I left the engine idling for 10 minutes and the temperature gauge never went past halfway. What could be the issue?

I never have done a coolant flush. I see that may be an issue. I only topped it off with zerex g-05.

I don't have any check engine lights nor do I see the temperature gauge go high or move around. It starts low, then after a few minutes of driving it warms up and stays in the middle.

Is everything okay? Why won't the fan turn on?

I'm taking it to a dealership at the end of the month for the timing belt, water pump, and transmission flush. Should I ask them to replace the ECT (is that the right abbreviation? Lol)

2006 base pt cruiser with 100k miles
Old 08 Jun 2016, 10:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Fan wont turn on/ac wont work at idle (hear compressor click)/temp shows ok

After a 15 minute or longer drive in the heat of the day with the A/C on, leave the engine and A/C running, lift the hood and look at the fan. With decent light, do you see the fan blades stopped? It might be tough because the blades are black. You could also put a sheet of paper in front of the radiator or a wet hand and feel if air is being drawn in. On high speed, there should be no doubt, low speed is a little tougher. Try it both with the A/C on and off.

If you are not getting an overheating condition and the A/C is working fine in stop and go traffic, your new fan is probably working correctly.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 08:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Fan wont turn on/ac wont work at idle (hear compressor click)/temp shows ok

You're right. Even with a flashlight during the day, I couldn't see the blades moving. But I put a piece of paper in front of the grill and it stays on through suction. Fan is working!

Weird how I never got a high temperature though...
Old 09 Jun 2016, 08:49 pm
Banned

You wouldn't want to get a high temperature. Slightly below the half mark is about normal. On a cold engine, turn on the a/c, the fan should immediately be running.

When you have the timing belt work done, IMO, you should also consider replacing: timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, cam seals, crank seal, center engine mount.