AIR IN RADIATOR...? PLEASE HELP!!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Fk5
  • 3 Post By PART_TIME
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2016, 11:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation AIR IN RADIATOR...? PLEASE HELP!!

2001 PT

OVERHEATING.

SO, WITH A COLD ENGINE, I ADDED 1/2 GALLON OF 50/50 DISTILLED WATER/VALVOLINE ZEREX G-05 DIRECTLY INTO THE RADIATOR AND TOPPED OFF THE RESERVOIR.

WHEN I STARTED THE ENGINE, IT WAS LURCHING/REVVING (BOUNCING BETWEEN 1000 AND 1500 RPM) CONSTANTLY. I HAD THE HEATER ON, AND WOULD OCCASIONALLY PUSH TO 3000 RPM, HOPING THAT IN DOING SO THE THERMOSTAT WOULD OPEN AND ALLOW THE ENTIRE SYSTEM TO "DRINK", AND "BURP".

FIGURED THERE WAS AIR IN THE SYSTEM...FOUND THE BLEEDER SCREW, ATTACHED CLEAR TUBING TO THE NIPPLE AND BLED THE SYSTEM OF SOME OF THE AIR (UNTIL THE AIR BUBBLES IN THE TUBING STOPPED. THE BUBBLES WERE TINY AND MANY.)

FIRED UP THE ENGINE AGAIN, SAME THING. THE ENGINE STILL HAS THESE "FITS", BOUNCING BETWEEN 1000 AND 1500 RPMS.

HOW LONG SHOULD I HAVE LET THE ENGINE RUN? PERHAPS I DID NOT RUN IT LONG ENOUGH? I ONLY RAN IT FOR A MINUTE OR SO AT A TIME AND WAS RELUCTANT TO RUN IT LONGER AS THE FITS WERE ALARMING.

ALSO, I AM FAIRLY CERTAIN THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNERS HAD THE VEHICLE SERVICED EXCLUSIVELY AT THE DEALERSHIP, SO A MIXING OF COOLANT TYPES CAN'T BE TO BLAME...CAN IT?

ANY HELP/ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANK YOU.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 11:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: AIR IN RADIATOR...? PLEASE HELP!!

This question comes up a bunch.

First thing I always do (including with my own car) is cross my fingers that it is not the head gasket That can cause the bubbles.

Sounds like you have other problems. Overheating? Why? You put a gallon of coolant in. Why was it low? Where did it go? When did it go there? That idle is too high. Vacuum leak? Check around your PCV valve and the vacuum hoses.

That being said, running it for a minute at a time isn't necessarily going to let the thermostat open. Is the car reaching temp or overheating? What I would do is park it so that the front of the car is uphill. Fill the radiator to the brim. Fill the reservoir to the proper level. Then start the car and run it until it reaches temp. Mid-way on the gauge (if it is working properly). The thermostat will open based on temp. Revving the car should not effect the thermostat. Does the temp gauge stop in the middle or keep rising? Run it a bit and keep an eye on the temp. Don't let it go to 3/4s. Then let it cool and see where the level is. Fill it and repeat. Keep adding and checking.

Alternatives are to use the proper bleeding procedure which you attempted or get one of those big funnels that fits in place of the radiator cap and fill her up until it burps.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My ears hurt from all the shouting........

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Jun 2016, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

THANKS, Fk5 FOR THE ADVICE. I APPRECIATE IT.

MORE INFO:

ACCORDING TO THE DRIVER (NOT ME, NOT MY VEHICLE), THE OVERHEATING HAPPENED ONCE, YESTERDAY AT LUNCH.

SHE SAID IT DID NOT GET "INTO THE RED"...

ACCORDING TO HER, SHE DROVE BACK TO WORK...AND THEN HOME AFTER WORK, A 15 MINUTE TRIP.

IT WAS THEN DRIVEN OVER TO MY HOUSE, AN HOUR LATER (5 MINUTE TRIP) TO FILL WITH COOLANT.

THE RADIATOR DRANK ABOUT A HALF GALLON OF COOLANT.

AS TO WHERE THE COOLANT WENT, I CANNOT SAY. MY GUESS IS THAT, LIKE ALL OF THE FLUIDS IN THE VEHICLE, IT WAS NEGLECTED, AND THAT OVER TIME, BETWEEN THE STOP-AND-GO DRIVING AND THE 110 SUMMER DAYS...POOOF!?

THERE WERE NO LEAKS TO REPORT OR EVIDENCE IN THE DRIVE WAY.

SINCE THE "TOP OFF" LAST NIGHT, THE FLUID LEVEL HAS NOT DECREASED.

LAST NIGHT, WE DID THE TEST IN THE INCLINED DRIVEWAY AND DID NOT SEE THE TEMP INCREASE. WILL TRY AGAIN TONIGHT.

BECAUSE IT WAS DRIVEN AFTER THE "OVERHEATING" I HAVE BEEN ADVISED (MECHANIC NEIGHBOR) THAT IT COULD VERY WELL HAVE WARPED THE HEAD AND/OR HEAD GASKET.

HE GAVE ME A COMPRESSION TEST KIT TO SEE IF THAT IS INDEED THE PROBLEM.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 01:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

You are hurting Nitro's delicate ears! Personally, I never cared, but all caps is considered shouting amongst internet people and may be considered rude. Of course I am used to people shouting at me in real life, so why would I care about internet people?

Is the car running well? Is the check engine light on? Does it throw any codes? Is the idle really 1,000-1,500? That is too high and indicates a problem, often a vacuum leak. Proper idle is generally in the 800-900 neighborhood.

If the car didn't die and shut down, it may have just run a bit hot. That is different than overheating a car until it dies. Check the oil. Does it smell burnt? If so, change it. You can run a bit hot without any problems but it does increase the likelihood of head gasket problems.
rckstein and ColTED like this.

Last edited by Fk5; 08 Jun 2016 at 01:18 pm.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UPDATE....

THE LURCHING/REVVING WHILE IDLING WAS DUE TO A LOOSE VACUUM LINE TO THE POWER BRAKE BOOSTER.

REATTACHED THE LINE AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL.

THANKS FOR THE HELP, Fk5.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 05:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PART_TIME View Post
UPDATE....

THE LURCHING/REVVING WHILE IDLING WAS DUE TO A LOOSE VACUUM LINE TO THE POWER BRAKE BOOSTER.

REATTACHED THE LINE AND EVERYTHING IS BACK TO NORMAL.

THANKS FOR THE HELP, Fk5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You are hurting Nitro's delicate ears! Personally, I never cared, but all caps is considered shouting amongst internet people and may be considered rude. Of course I am used to people shouting at me in real life, so why would I care about internet people?

Is the car running well? Is the check engine light on? Does it throw any codes? Is the idle really 1,000-1,500? That is too high and indicates a problem, often a vacuum leak. Proper idle is generally in the 800-900 neighborhood.

If the car didn't die and shut down, it may have just run a bit hot. That is different than overheating a car until it dies. Check the oil. Does it smell burnt? If so, change it. You can run a bit hot without any problems but it does increase the likelihood of head gasket problems.
Yep, "Fk5" got it right
Old 16 Jun 2016, 01:03 pm
Young Cruiser

My instincts are that we've not heard the end of this story.

The saga of the missing coolant continues...

Tags
air trapped in radiator, coolant burp, radiator bleed