• 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 2 Post By 044400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2016, 12:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Here's a "fun" problem...

I have owned my 02' touring (with 141,000 miles on it)for almost a year now. It sat for a bit as I was making payments on it. I drove it a handful of times before the unthinkable, unimaginable happened: it s*** the bed. My definition of such an occurrence means that one day it was running, and the next it wouldn't go past 35mph with rpm levels reaching almost 3,500, and just won't go into second gear!!! It will jerk ever so lightly into reverse, ease into neutral, but when I put it in drive, there's a hard jerk every time.

The code I had gotten was a P0605(friends who are mechanics with MATCO scanners). They are somewhat puzzled by the problem too.

I'm beyond confused and upset with what this could mean. Are there any slight ideas?!?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 01:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Here's a "fun" problem...

P0605 - TCM Error Conditions:

As Handy_Cruiser below posted the P0605 code is different for the year 2002

Suggest inspect the wiring and connectors going to the TCM. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits going to the TCM.

Also suggest taking it to a transmission shop to check for transmission codes. This needs to be done to see if there are any transmission solenoid codes.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Jun 2016 at 09:01 am. Reason: Better details
Old 09 Jun 2016, 05:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is a 2002, right?

Luckily, the TCM is separate from the PCM on a 2002 PT. The TCM is behind the left fender and needs no VIN flash to replace. You can grab a used one at almost any salvage yard and swap it out fairly easily.

However, I'd check the massive amount of wires running to the TCM first. There's always a chance that a hungry rodent chewed through some wires.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Jun 2016 at 05:55 am.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 06:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

I don't know anything about the P0605 code....but from the symptoms, I'd check the Cam Sensor. Check the plug & about a foot down the plug making sure it's not melted anywhere.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Jun 2016, 08:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check the wiring harness under the car. The cheap plastic bracket has been known to break and cause the harness for the CKP to drop down on the axle and rub. This causes it to short out. If that's not it and none of the other excellent suggestions help, check the cat con. Maybe it's clogged.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 08:29 am
Senior Cruiser

Strange things happen when cars sit for months, years without being started or driven even slightly.

Then there are things that like to look for dark places to live (and keep their teeth sharpened). I hope the electric gremlins are not caused by rodents.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In the thread below it mentions if you have not regularly changed out the transmission fluid and filter there may be a varnish on the solenoids which is causing them to stick making it hard for the transmission to shift.

I would suggest make sure the solenoids are working properly before thinking of replacing the TCM after everything else has been ruled out.

Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Jun 2016 at 09:13 am.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
In the thread below it mentions if you have not regularly changed out the transmission fluid and filter there may be a varnish on the solenoids which is causing them to stick making it hard for the transmission to shift.

I would suggest make sure the solenoids are working properly before thinking of replacing the TCM after everything else has been ruled out.

Trans Solenoid pack bad after TCM change?
Can you access the solenoid without taking the transmission apart? (Also, my dad knows a bit more of what happened to the car before I got it- the previous owner hit a huge slush puddle and the car actually died on them. They had to replace the battery. Another thing is, the transmission was built about 18,000 miles ago, if that info helps!)
Old 09 Jun 2016, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedptowner View Post
Can you access the solenoid without taking the transmission apart? (Also, my dad knows a bit more of what happened to the car before I got it- the previous owner hit a huge slush puddle and the car actually died on them. They had to replace the battery. Another thing is, the transmission was built about 18,000 miles ago, if that info helps!)
Before we think about replacing the solenoid this new information brings up additional information. Was the original transmission rebuilt or they replaced the transmission with another rebuilt transmission? Any specific information about what was replaced on the transmission when it was rebuilt? TCM replaced? Solenoid Pack replaced? etc. This information could possibly help narrow down the issue.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 09 Jun 2016 at 10:20 am.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Before we think about replacing the solenoid this new information brings up additional information. Was the original transmission rebuilt or they replaced the transmission with another rebuilt transmission? Any specific information about what was replaced on the transmission when it was rebuilt? TCM replaced? Solenoid Pack replaced? etc. This information could possibly help narrow down the issue.
As far as the computers and wiring goes, those are all original to the car. The previous owner couldn't find the paper with all of that info on the transmission job(which is not cool!!!). I'm sorry to be vague here!

Tags
pcm problems, pt cruiser, tcu problems, touring edition