PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating after timing belt change

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2016, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating after timing belt change

I'm a new user and can't find the new thread button. I have a 2001 that had no overheating problems and ice cold air. Took it in to tires plus last week and had the timing belt/water pump/tensioner combo for the tune of 1400 dollars. Now it Is overheating like crazy and the coolant boils in reservoir. Not leaking anywhere. They put a new cap on the radiator, said it was fixed, still runs really hot. Gauge never went past half before the combo. Any help would be appreciated, its my only car and in the 90s now. Thank you
Old 08 Jun 2016, 08:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: Help!! Another over heating problem!! :anger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethlikesilence View Post
I'm a new user and can't find the new thread button. I have a 2001 that had no overheating problems and ice cold air. Took it in to tires plus last week and had the timing belt/water pump/tensioner combo for the tune of 1400 dollars. Now it Is overheating like crazy and the coolant boils in reservoir. Not leaking anywhere. They put a new cap on the radiator, said it was fixed, still runs really hot. Gauge never went past half before the combo. Any help would be appreciated, its my only car and in the 90s now. Thank you
A wild guess here, but if the radiator is original, it's possible that when they drained the system, the radiator has maybe become clogged or thermostat jammed. Assuming that is, that the water pump is actually functional and pushing water round the rest of the coolant system. If the pump proves good, I would be draining everything, removing the thermostat and the radiator and reverse flushing everything
Old 08 Jun 2016, 08:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Help!! Another over heating problem!! :anger:

Quote:

Keep taking it back...it didn't happen till they worked on it, they have to fix it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 08 Jun 2016, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?

Does your radiator fan come on with the engine cold and you turn on the A/C?
Old 08 Jun 2016, 09:47 pm
Banned

Quote:
Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear that you joined the forum under unfortunate circumstances.

IMO, I would be leary of these types of shops for the timing belt work on a PT. It is a difficult enough job for even a dealer-level-trained technician.

Why did you take it in to have the timing belt replaced? Was it as preventive maintenance or had it broken? How long did it take them to complete the work, 2 days or did you get the rush treatment? But since this shop did do the work, it should still be under their warranty. Unfortunately, if they can't find the problem you may have to take it to another shop for a further diagnosis or repair. If that happens and the second shop can definately say that it is related to the work the first shop did, you may be able to recoup those additional repairs from the first shop. However, it has been my experience, that any shop is not willing to put in writing anything bad that another shop may or may not have done as they don't want to be called into court as a witness against another shop. So the best you could hope for is that the first shop willingly covers any additional repairs as a matter of customer satisfaction and to keep their good name in the community. Sorry to tell you this now, but for what you paid for the timing belt work, you could have gotten it done at a dealership.

Last edited by rckstein; 08 Jun 2016 at 10:23 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2016, 10:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

The best advise is to return the PT to the shop that did the work. Have the technician go for a test ride with you and show him the problem. I would not recommend to go to another shop. Unfortunately ego's vary between shops.

The TB is NOT a hard job and a shop can do water pump and timing components in about 6-7 hours.

Water pumps on PT Cruiser are shaft mounted impellers they work or make a lot of noise and dont. If it is not leaking and making noise it works. The radiator only holds a small amount of total coolant volume if there was not a lot of rust in the system it is doubtful the radiator got debris enough to cause heating issues.
thecabinguy likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09 Jun 2016 at 05:36 am.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating after timing belt change

Thank you for all the comments. It took about two days for them to do timing belt. I would not have gone there but they have financing. Both high and low speed fan works. No engine codes. Only overheats when above middle 70s out. This morning no problem at all. Tires plus gives me attitude and doesn't seem to want to help. Thinking about going to a different shop, need the car. I had the belt changed so it wouldn't break. I am at a loss for what's wrong.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 06:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

The tires plus manager told me there was some rust in the cooling system.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 06:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry for the triple posts, they flushed the cooling system and ran a "cleaner and sealer" when they changed the water pump according to the bill.
Old 09 Jun 2016, 07:27 am
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for all the comments. It took about two days for them to do timing belt. I would not have gone there but they have financing. Both high and low speed fan works. No engine codes. Only overheats when above middle 70s out. This morning no problem at all. Tires plus gives me attitude and doesn't seem to want to help. Thinking about going to a different shop, need the car. I had the belt changed so it wouldn't break. I am at a loss for what's wrong.
That's the unfortunate thing, you are technically still under their warranty, and you must allow them the opportunity to rectify the issue. But on the other hand, you will be taking up their tech time while they have other paying jobs, and yours is no longer a paying job. So if you take it to another shop, you will most likely have to foot the bill. It's a diffucult situation and you just want and need your car fixed.