Advertisements
2001 Cruiser stalls in drive!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2016, 02:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Cruiser stalls in drive!

Hey All--In advance I would like to say sorry if I don't follow protocall as I am not a forum guy!
With that being said,I have a 2001 PT that dies in drive.The codes pulled up a cam sensor and a TPS.Changed both out.Put in some Techron and then a new fuel pump.Still stalls.Put in a crank sensor and checked for chaffed/burnt wires.
Starts and runs fine and I drove it up and down the street in reverse--fine.As soon as I put it in drive and proceed 3 feet it dies.Put it in park and it starts right up!Cleaned the throttle body and the IAC.Is there some sensor in the tranny that may be telling it not to make me happy? (I know my ex wife can't fit in there!)
Old 09 Jun 2016, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Cruiser stalls in drive!

Have you checked the connector to your transmission solenoid? It's easy enough to get to on your car. The connector takes an 8mm socket to loosen the one bolt that holds it to the solenoid pack. I'd remove it, clean it with some electrical contact cleaner and plug it back in and see if that helps. If not, I don't have a clue.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Chuzz--I'll check that out and post results!
Old 10 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check the wiring harness under the engine. On many 2001 PT Cruisers the wiring harness drops down on the half shaft and burns through the wires. Seems like when you put it in drive the engine is positioned differently then when you are in reverse so the wires might be being pinched somewhere when you are in drive. Look under the engine and see if the wires are binding somewhere.

On the thread below that has similar issues like yours the problem was pinched wires after the PT Cruiser had an accident.

Engine dies when put in drive not in reverse

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jun 2016 at 01:50 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 08:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did read the post about the pinched wires.I stated in my original post that I checked for chaffed/burnt wires.I jacked the PT way up--put it on jack stands and crawled around under there and didn't see anything that looked suspect.Might be worth another look as I willing to try just about anything!
Old 12 Jun 2016, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezusChrysler View Post
I did read the post about the pinched wires.I stated in my original post that I checked for chaffed/burnt wires.I jacked the PT way up--put it on jack stands and crawled around under there and didn't see anything that looked suspect.Might be worth another look as I willing to try just about anything!
Is your engine moving back and forth excessively when you shift it from first gear to reverse back to first gear? If so you might want to look at your upper and lower motor struts. The struts usually need to be replaced around 75,000 miles depending on road conditions.

You might find a wire that looks good when the PT Cruiser is in park but when its in drive you might that that wire is now touching ground somewhere.
chuzz likes this.