Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine dies, car re-starts but shakes like a sick dog before dying again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2016, 07:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Engine dies, car re-starts but shakes like a sick dog before dying again

That pretty much sums up what has been going on with Petra since about February (I wrote a VERY long thread about all the issues a couple of weeks ago.)

Zero check engine light. No warning lights.

I'd run her at 80ish on the Interstate this morning on the way to PT, and came off an exit early on the way home and parked up at the bank, drove to the other side of the strip mall and shopped for 45 minutes, drove home and changed my clothes and set off to collect my five year old nephew and take him bowling.

Drove for ten minutes, stopped for maybe fifteen. Drove in city traffic at 40 - 50 mph, stopped outside a business after half an hour of that with the engine running and the A/C on while I ran inside and dropped off a check. Drove off that street, on to the next, and about fifty feet from N Wickham Road it started to shake and stutter and died.

I have electrics. I can run the A/C if I turn the key to 'acc'. The engine will start, turn over, hits maybe 600 RPM and then stutters and dies. If I try and apply the gas, it stutters and shakes and still dies.

I said back in February that it started after I ran the gas to very nearly empty; I was on my way to a gas station this afternoon when it borked! The repair shop has not yet checked the fuel pump or fuel filter - I'm only a woman, what do I know, right?

There were random horn blats this afternoon - I am hoping that isn't significant.

When asked by the tow truck driver where I wanted the car, I did say
'In flames at the side of the road, with no one in it.'

I am that frustrated.

Shop can't even look at it until Tuesday.

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine dies, car re-starts but shakes like a sick dog before dying again

I would have suggested checking the fuel pressure. Make sure its 58 +/-5 PSI.

With hot weather its advised not to let the fuel tank go below a quarter to halfway to keep the fuel pump cool.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jun 2016 at 08:43 pm.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Engine dies, car re-starts but shakes like a sick dog before dying again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would have suggested checking the fuel pressure. Make sure its 58 +/-5 PSI.

With hot weather its advised not to let the fuel tank go below a quarter to halfway to keep the fuel pump cool.
Aaaah - hmm. February was unusually hot, come to think. And it is definitely hot today, back to 85 after torrential rain the last two or three days (couldn't get off the drive yesterday, the mailbox was on a little island by itself and one girl had to be pushed up the road after driving too fast through the flood!)

I am at less than a quarter tank. I know, I know, I shouldn't let it get that empty - believe me, I KNOW! (Hubby has been muttering about it!)

The other thing I wondered about: is there a likely connection between this and the accident I was in, where I T-boned a guy in an intersection? I was decelerating as hard as I could from around 40 mph (I had a green light, he ran the red.)

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:54 pm
Young Cruiser

PS: Thank you for your reply!