PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser going through a quart/week oil and coating back of car in oil residue

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jun 2016, 11:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2002 PT Cruiser going through a quart/week oil and coating back of car in oil residue

'02 PT Cruiser going through a lot of oil and coating back of car in thick black oil residue. Please help. What could be causing this???
Old 13 Jun 2016, 03:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser going through a quart/week oil and coating back of car in oil res

Fairly common for valve cover gasket to fail - is back of engine coated in oil? Get car up on ramps and look underneath.
If you take your car somewhere for oil changes, look at oil filter and drain plug for leaks.
How many miles you drive in a week?
How long has this been going on?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jun 2016, 03:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser going through a quart/week oil and coating back of car in oil res

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest first checking your air filter.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 04:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Check pvc valve and hose going to it
Old 13 Jun 2016, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.
It's been doing this since I bought it two years ago. I drive about 30-40 miles a day. It's got 155,000 miles. It was spitting white smoke out of exhaust when bought it I replaced pcv valve and hose. Fixed the white smoke and idle issues. I do see somewhat of an oil leak underneath but not enough for the amount of oil I go through. There is oil pretty much coating everthing under engine.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 07:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: 2002 PT Cruiser going through a quart/week oil and coating back of car in oil res

By the way. Feeling very accomplished. I just replaced a lower control arm, sway bar link, and both outer tie rods.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 07:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippietank View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies guys.
It's been doing this since I bought it two years ago. I drive about 30-40 miles a day. It's got 155,000 miles. It was spitting white smoke out of exhaust when bought it I replaced pcv valve and hose. Fixed the white smoke and idle issues. I do see somewhat of an oil leak underneath but not enough for the amount of oil I go through. There is oil pretty much coating everthing under engine.
You would be surprised how much oil you can burn with a clogged air filter.
chuzz likes this.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 10:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I agree with Steve about the air filter. You might also want to take a look at your oil sending unit or oil pressure switch, whatever name you prefer. Sometimes they can leak under pressure and piss oil all over the place.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

to add to the list of "checking" ... the crank sensor [O-ring]
Old 14 Jun 2016, 07:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Does the car smoke at all? Oil coating the back of the car, sounds alot like you are burning oil. Might want to check the compression and look at your plugs.