PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How difficult is it to replace the TIPM yourself?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jun 2016, 06:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default How difficult is it to replace the TIPM yourself?

Just an idle query, really.

I've had a nose at Rockauto and the A1 Cardone site, and see that a remanufactured TIPM is $400 give or take including the $130 core. The shop I take Petra to said $1,000 all in to replace it.

Hubby is a retired electronics tech and if it's a case of unplugging the old one and plugging everything back in to the new, more or less, he could probably either do it himself or walk me through it.

About to get a settlement pay out from November's accident, so we will be able to afford it soon whether we DIY it or pay the shop to. I'm just a hair leery of throwing more money at the dratted thing. Got it back yesterday with the usual news: 'It started right up when we moved it into the shop and we can't find anything wrong with it.'

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 15 Jun 2016, 07:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How difficult is it to replace the TIPM yourself?

From what I can tell, it should be a simple plug and play type thing. JUST BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST! I have zero training in electronics and I sure as hell wouldn't pay anyone $1,000 to replace something I can do myself. Look on youtube. You can find several videos of how to do it, if your hubby wants to save some money and do it himself. No big deal.
HippysChick likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 07:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
From what I can tell, it should be a simple plug and play type thing. JUST BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST! I have zero training in electronics and I sure as hell wouldn't pay anyone $1,000 to replace something I can do myself. Look on youtube. You can find several videos of how to do it, if your hubby wants to save some money and do it himself. No big deal.
Oh heck, yeah! Disconnect the battery first, don't open or touch the new TIPM until you're ready to install it, make sure to wear an anti-static strap or touch a ground regularly. (I've built computer

I've built computers under his eagle eye, so I have a feeling I will be doing the grunt work with input from Yer Man Himself.

Thanks!

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 15 Jun 2016, 07:46 pm
Banned

Yeah, I don't get it either how it can be $1000 to replace the TIPM

The one YouTube video I watched was for a Jeep Patriot, but the TIPM was the same. It all appeared to be plug & play, with the smaller connectors even being color coded, so how could you mix them up? I noticed that the person doing the switch out taped off the lead coming from the battery, apparently he was worried about it shorting to something. But he should have had the battery disconnected so there would be no power going through that wire. The one he purchased appeared to be from a u-pull-it, so it wasn't even new or remanufactured.

This link does appear to suggest that there is some programming needed to be done after replacement, so if a dealer visit is required, that would contribute to the overall price, and why the dealer gets $1000 for replacement.

Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring: Hello, I am replacing the tipm

If anything, if I were going to have the TIPM replaced, I would also get a new lead that goes from the battery positive terminal to the TIPM. I'm not an electrical engineer, but it appears to me that that lead is small, or not a very thick gauge, considering it suppiles all the power to the TIPM, which then powers all the other vehicle systems.

For those vehicles that are having the TIPM replaced under warranty, or recall, I would be curious to know if at the same time, if they also replace that battery lead with a larger gauge wire? And what is the actual problem with the TIPM, inferior materials used during manufacture, or a design problem?
HippysChick likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 15 Jun 2016 at 08:13 pm.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 03:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Okay, I am in a position to replace the TIPM myself.

Saturday the (does anyone speak really good German? Maybe I'd best not swear in that language either...) car did its impression of a roadside armadillo while hubby was in the car with me. Driving along a little over 70 (honest, I have to drive like an old lady with him in the car with me), the car gave a little jerk, the needles on tacho and speedo started to drop. I kept pumping the gas pedal but nothing doing, had to haul the wheel and steer into the breakdown lane.

This time, it restarted three times, we moved another mile or two, it stopped, restarted and eventually quit.

I ran the battery flat over about two hours trying to get it to restart.

So, I am going to buy a reconditioned TIPM. BUT: will i have to have Chrysler flash the TIPM before the car will run again? Answers gratefully received!

Old 27 Jun 2016, 07:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippysChick View Post
Okay, I am in a position to replace the TIPM myself.

Saturday the (does anyone speak really good German? Maybe I'd best not swear in that language either...) car did its impression of a roadside armadillo while hubby was in the car with me. Driving along a little over 70 (honest, I have to drive like an old lady with him in the car with me), the car gave a little jerk, the needles on tacho and speedo started to drop. I kept pumping the gas pedal but nothing doing, had to haul the wheel and steer into the breakdown lane.

This time, it restarted three times, we moved another mile or two, it stopped, restarted and eventually quit.

I ran the battery flat over about two hours trying to get it to restart.

So, I am going to buy a reconditioned TIPM. BUT: will i have to have Chrysler flash the TIPM before the car will run again? Answers gratefully received!
I replace the TIPM a few years ago with one from Rock Auto because of headlight failure. No problems with TIPM since.

18 months latter car decided not to run, would not turn over using the key. I turned the key on and used a jumper from the battery to the starter and it would crank but not start. Checked all the fuses none blown.
End up replacing the PCM-SKIM- key cylinder with chipped key- with one I purchased from Ebay. Cranked and fired up, been driving it for two months.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 27 Jun 2016, 08:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I replace the TIPM a few years ago with one from Rock Auto because of headlight failure. No problems with TIPM since.

18 months latter car decided not to run, would not turn over using the key. I turned the key on and used a jumper from the battery to the starter and it would crank but not start. Checked all the fuses none blown.
End up replacing the PCM-SKIM- key cylinder with chipped key- with one I purchased from Ebay. Cranked and fired up, been driving it for two months.
Hmm.

But, did you have to get the new TIPM flashed? That was what the Chrysler tech told me over the phone.

Old 28 Jun 2016, 12:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippysChick View Post
Hmm.

But, did you have to get the new TIPM flashed? That was what the Chrysler tech told me over the phone.
TIPM from Rock Auto was Plug and play.

If you buy a used TIPM from a recycle yard it may need flashed. As easy as it is to install I would try it before spending spending money at dealer for Programming.

I think the units are very susceptible to moisture and corrosion. Spraying the motor off or deep water splashing I believe is a death sentence for a TIPM
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 28 Jun 2016, 11:13 am
Young Cruiser

Thank you so much! I'll be buying one later on, if I can get the car to start - finally got hold of a battery charger.

My niece had a baby girl on Sunday morning, so everything has been revolving around them, and quite rightly so! I managed to get a lift over to their house and borrow their battery charger this morning.