PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rattling Noise from Front End

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2016, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rattling Noise from Front End

Hey Everyone!

I have a 2008 Limited Touring Pt Cruiser, and I'm getting this weird rattling sound coming from up by the oil pan. One of my friends dad, who has been around cars his whole life, suggested it was my oil pump. It makes more of a clicking sound, and gets louder when the RPMs go up. It doesn't always make the sound though. Sometimes it is quiet for a few minutes but then gets louder. When I got my oil changed, the guy said he doesn't think it is the engine or the transmission and before I go spend the potentially $600 to fix a $60 part I wanted to ask and see if anyone had any ideas of what it was!

Thanks
Old 16 Jun 2016, 05:23 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Rattling Noise from Front End

Well, I had that happen on our PT Cruiser about a year ago. Slowly worsened, though it started off being an intermittent thing. Then it began to get louder and when I would turn off the ignition, the car would rattle and bang and shake alarmingly for a few seconds or longer after the power was off.

Turned out to be a cracked flex plate.

Problem was that until the shop I use dropped the engine out to have a good look at it (Tires Plus had told me I needed a new motor), they couldn't actually see the flex plate - there's an inspection panel or something that isn't visible with the engine in.

The shop weren't about to order a new motor until they'd checked it all out and diagnosed the problem for themselves.

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)

Tags
front end, noise, rattling