PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 pt cruiser no turn over security light stays on

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2016, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 pt cruiser no turn over security light stays on

Hi, my brothers 03 pt a week or two ago just stopped working (right after he had finished paying of the auto loan he had on it ). Everything turns on all right when we turn the key to on but nothing happens when we turn the key to start. The little red security light stays on the entire time. We pulled out the starter and tested it and it works fine. He has the grey keyed security system. If it is something with the security system wouldn't it start and then immediately kill out? We're starting to think the dang thing is possessed lol
Old 17 Jun 2016, 12:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 pt cruiser no turn over security light stays on

Welcome to the forum. You might want to introduce yourself to the forum. Post a few things about your PT Cruiser.

Was the same key used before it had this problem? The sentry key security system will totally disable the car if someone tries to start it with the incorrect key 3 times where the PT Cruiser will start and then die.

Most likely the security system has been locked out.

I would suggest another method that another member had said it worked for him to unlock the security system after I had him try these instructions.

Park the PT Cruiser where you can leave it for two hours with a battery charger hooked up.

First fully charge the battery with the battery charger. After it is fully charged turn the ignition key to the "ON" position with the battery charger still charging (The engine is not running). Do not have anything else on such as lights, radio, etc. Leave the ignition to the "ON" position for two hours. After two hours turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position and then disconnect the battery charger. Now try to start the PT Cruiser. Post what happens.
chuzz likes this.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We will try that, but it has always been the same key used in the car. It only came with one key and my brother has never had any type of spare key made. The issue just popped up out of the blue on day. My brother parked it and when he came back to go somewhere a couple hours later, it wouldn't start. This was a day or two after a storm came through here. We have heard about the rfid receiver in the car or the chip in the key going outta wack. We were quoted $95 by the dealership to reprogram the system and $66 for a new key. Problem with that is that we have the car at our house and the dealer is 20 miles away and we don't want to have to pay for a tow truck.

Last edited by Housley11; 17 Jun 2016 at 09:12 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had a problem like this. I could jump the starter on the it and got it running. Till I turned it off. Needed the electrical part of the key switch. Don't remover about the light. Was this purchased from a buy here pay here. They sometimes install a low jack to find the cars and some can disable the car. If this is in your cars past. Could have caused your problem.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The antenna used to read the key RFI chip might not be making good contact or not working properly but before we go in this direction we need to unlock the immobilizer first.

The key has an RFI chip in it and the Pt Cruiser has a device called the immobilizer. The immobilizer has an antenna that is wrapped around the ignition switch. When you turn the key, the ECU starts the car and then waits for a message from the immobilizer circuit card. The device powers up the antenna and reads a code from the key. If the key is a match with a stored code, the device sends a message to the ECU and the car runs. If the ECU does not get the message, it turns the cars off.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My brother bought the vehicle from a reputable small used car lot. As far as i can tell, there's no sort of tracking device on it. It is a rebuilt vehicle though.

Also when we tried to hook up an obdii reader to it, the reader didn't even turn on. Anyone got any ideas on that?
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
The antenna used to read the key RFI chip might not be making good contact or not working properly but before we go in this direction we need to unlock the immobilizer first.

The key has an RFI chip in it and the Pt Cruiser has a device called the immobilizer. The immobilizer has an antenna that is wrapped around the ignition switch. When you turn the key, the ECU starts the car and then waits for a message from the immobilizer circuit card. The device powers up the antenna and reads a code from the key. If the key is a match with a stored code, the device sends a message to the ECU and the car runs. If the ECU does not get the message, it turns the cars off.
I understand how the system works, but if the ecu isn't receiving the signal, wouldn't it start the engine and then cut out three times before the security system locks down the vehicle? My brothers PT went straight from starting fine to not even turning over when the key is turned to start and the security light staying on.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 09:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housley11 View Post
I understand how the system works, but if the ecu isn't receiving the signal, wouldn't it start the engine and then cut out three times before the security system locks down the vehicle? My brothers PT went straight from starting fine to not even turning over when the key is turned to start and the security light staying on.
Did you try disconnecting the battery cable, reconnecting the battery cable to see if it starts? The camshaft sensor can sometimes go bad and not crank. I had the camshaft sensor go bad on my PT Cruiser and I just disconnected, reconnected the battery cable and it fired right up.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Jun 2016 at 09:47 pm.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, we had the battery completely out of the vehicle when we removed the starter to test it. Nothing changed when we reconnected the battery.
Old 17 Jun 2016, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We also ruled out the ignition. The wires for start are receiving voltage when the key is turned to start. If I remember correctly, one of the wiring diagrams ive seen shows the only thing between the ignition and the starter solenoid is the the thing for the security system and the relay, which we know the relay is good, so that leads to me to think that it is something with security system. Problem with that though is that it didn't do the aforementioned 3 starts with a bad key before lock down