Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can you just swap out the ECM/PCM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:36 am
Young Cruiser

Location: The place where the Game of Thrones accent comes from.
Default Can you just swap out the ECM/PCM?

On a UK diesel of the same type?
For instance can I have two ECM's,one tuned and one not and just swap between the two? Or is the ECM like other car brands and paired to a security/immobiliser module?
Thanks in advance!
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:43 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Can you just swap out the ECM/PCM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
For instance can I have two ECM's,one tuned and one not and just swap between the two? Or is the ECM like other car brands and paired to a security/immobiliser module?
Thanks in advance!
You sure ask a ton of questions for a guy that doesn't have a PT yet!

Somebody else will provide a more definitive response, but I think that you need to "mate" with the VIN, but after that, I believe that you can swap away. They can be finicky to swap, so I am not sure I'd want to make it a regular occurrence. You're dealing with diesels and our people are primarily dealing with gas 2.4s, so you may not get such an enlightened response.

I have been wondering about the best way to swap tunes. On some (custom/aftermarket) cars you can do it with a flip of a switch or two. I thought that was what the turbo toys were for the stage 2, but that was basically just a picture in the catalog. I don't know anybody that had it in a PT.

It would be nice to swap between 87 octane and 93+ octane tunes. I saved a ton of money driving my car on 87, but I don't want to reduce the reliability/longevity.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:57 am
Young Cruiser

Location: The place where the Game of Thrones accent comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You sure ask a ton of questions for a guy that doesn't have a PT yet!

Somebody else will provide a more definitive response, but I think that you need to "mate" with the VIN, but after that, I believe that you can swap away. They can be finicky to swap, so I am not sure I'd want to make it a regular occurrence. You're dealing with diesels and our people are primarily dealing with gas 2.4s, so you may not get such an enlightened response.

I have been wondering about the best way to swap tunes. On some (custom/aftermarket) cars you can do it with a flip of a switch or two. I thought that was what the turbo toys were for the stage 2, but that was basically just a picture in the catalog. I don't know anybody that had it in a PT.

It would be nice to swap between 87 octane and 93+ octane tunes. I saved a ton of money driving my car on 87, but I don't want to reduce the reliability/longevity.
I'm retired, up until about a year ago I had never connected a computer to a car in my life,It seemed like a thing of science fiction for me.Anyway my wife stopped driving, she'd just had enough of it and I was free to buy anything I wanted. SO I bought a huge highly complicated car and because I feared getting a warning light on the instrument panel so much I bought an old laptop for diagnostics and started to put some stuff together.
I have since remapped two cars and can now copy a tuned map with some professional software I've taught myself to use.
So I'm a very enthusiastic amateur that is now considering getting a PT Cruiser.
I can change a VIN if its not held in a secure area with a Hex-editor so I can easily get around that.
Your wanting two maps is something that can be done to certain cars.Here in the UK I've seen people advertising dual maps on cars that have a "sport button". I know nothing more than that really.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
Thanks in advance!
For North American cars, some 01-03 years did not have an immobilizer installed from the factory. In those cars, you can swap similarly non-immobilized ECMs without the need for programming. Some 04-05 may also have not had an immobilizer installed, but I have never seen one. All 04-05 cars I have seen have had an immobilizer.

If the car has an immobilizer, then you will have to change the vin stored inside the replacement ECM. I am not sure if it is in a protected location inside or not, however there are some aftermarket scan tools which have the ability to change that sequence.

You can tell, in most cases, if the car has an immobilizer if it has grey/brown headed keys, as opposed to the thinner black headed keys used in non-immobilized cars. I said in most cases as there are some people who may have modified their immobilized car to use a regular key by attaching a chipped key, or the chip from a key, to the immobilizer module and allowing the use of a regular key all the time since the immobilizer is always satisfied.

Last edited by myckee; 23 Jun 2016 at 12:12 pm.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can tell, in most cases, if the car has an immobilizer if it has grey/brown headed keys, as opposed to the thinner black headed keys used in non-immobilized cars. I said in most cases as there are some people who may have modified their immobilized car to use a regular key by attaching a chipped key, or the chip from a key, to the immobilizer module and allowing the use of a regular key all the time since the immobilizer is always satisfied.

That's what I did to mine. I zip tied the chipped key to the immobilizer module and am using keys that I had cut at Walmart for two bucks each. It works just fine. The ONLY quirk I've discovered is if I unlock the rear hatch with the key, then the car alarm starts going off. I have to unlock the door and use the door unlock button to open the hatch instead.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had a replacement PCM modified to eliminate the SKIM (Security Key Immobilizer)
BUT what happened when I tried to use the key to open the drivers door it set the alarm, but the car did run.

I then bought a PCM-SKIM-KEYFOB from the same vehicle and everything works. (the car would not turn over before hand).

All I have to do now is rekey the hatch and door then get my VIN programmed into the PCM
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh