Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Instrument cluster circuit board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2016, 01:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Instrument cluster circuit board

I have a cluster failure, and all gauges are not functioning. Based on internet searches, it seems to be a common item. regarding cracked solder connections. I have pulled the dash cluster and disassembled it down to the circuit board, but the problem is the board will not release to look at the back side where the solder connections need to be checked. All the screws were removed, and I can wiggle the board, but it won't release. It seems to be stuck in the middle of the board, but the edges are loose. I don't want to reef on it, and crack the board.
Has anyone had the same experience? Just looking for what to do to break it loose.
It may also be the control module (computer), and disconnected the battery, I can get the gauges to function for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, and then they go dead again, There is no codes showing when I check by using the trip odometer check for the 3 or 4 minutes that the gauges become active. That sort of tells me that it may not be a solder connection, but the control module?
Let me know if there are thoughts out there?
Thanks

Instrument
Old 22 Jun 2016, 01:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Instrument cluster circuit board

Did you remove all the needles on the front..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jun 2016, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

No, I didn't. I assumed that it was not necessary, as the unit is not cable driven.
The old style speedos were simple, buy just turning the needle counter clockwise, and pulling gently to come off the drive stem.
Are you sure they come off?
Old 23 Jun 2016, 10:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

They come off, but if they break...your in trouble.

Instrument cluster needle

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Jun 2016, 11:56 am
Senior Cruiser

They do come off, but are easy to break and also can be a pain in the behind to put back in the correct position.

I recently took my 03 GT cluster apart to try to find some cold solder joints for the lcd display since that was the only thing that stopped working. I didn't find any poor connections even when looking with a 10x lens. Regardless, I tried re-soldering a bunch of connections but never did fix the problem. Luckily I already had a replacement cluster to throw in. It increased the mileage by about 30,000KM, since the donor car had more kms, but it is not a big deal to me.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Because Trump

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 01:19 pm.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I really appreciate the photo.
In the long term, Dorman has a completely refurbished cluster, and it is reset to the original mileage of the car (with proof of course) and shipped in 3 days, for $230.00, and a core charge of $300.00.
With all the work, effort, and the mandatory swear words, it's probably the best way to go.
The next surprise will be the PCM. We are not getting supporting P codes that leads us to the PCM, and we are checking EVERY ground lead.
Just found out from Chris at Tubros Unleashed the the BOV will need to be replaced, because of the chirping sound when it decelerates, which also means the impeller shaft needs to be checked for bushing wear, which occurs if the BOV isn't working properly. That's a little expensive to replace the Turbo, and I have done it once before. There is enough room for a 2 year old kid to get at the water cooling lines, and no party to replace the oil return line.
This has become an obsession to get it right, and I am not a quitter. Thankfully, I can afford to indulge my obsession, and it gives me something to do.
I will let all those who have been kind enough to offer advice, as to the final outcome.