PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A few AC issues, maybe a couple problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2016, 02:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A few AC issues, maybe a couple problems?

Hi there, I've lurked in this forum for years and never quite made the leap to repair things myself but now I'm looking to out of necessity.

2003 non-turbo w/118k

Issues in chronological order:

1) Starting 2 or 3 years ago, rough idle pretty much just like in this thread except didn't result in an AC issue: Really? A/C Compressor Stumble Is Normal?

2) No cold air through vent or recirculated, not cold while idle or driving either. I think this started up late last year, not really sure.

3) Went on vacation for a week and when I came back to my car this Monday, there is dirt or small dark debris blowing out of the vents, doesn't happen with recirculated air.

I went to add freon yesterday to see what impact that had on the AC temp and decide what route to take from there. When I put the pressure gauge on, the needle goes back and forth in the green zone (between 25 to 45 psi I think it was). That's when I noticed that the compressor (maybe?) is turning on and off every few seconds. I went down a diagnostic rabbit hole at that point so I stopped there and didn't add any freon for fear of overcharging the system. Appears I may need to test the pressure switch per this thread: A/C not working

Crewzin's instructions on page 2 of that thread seems to be the most relevant.

Am I on the right track here? I was really concerned about adding the freon when the AC pressure didn't remain constant.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 05:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A few AC issues, maybe a couple problems?

Simply put..I recommend that you take you vehicle to a service shop and have your AC system checked and serviced.
OR

Find a Factory Service Manual for your year PT Cruiser and read the complete chapters on Heating & Air Conditioning and Controls.

IMHO You have way to many AC relevant concerns to even try to internet forum diagnoses.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Jun 2016, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, I never thought I could get a factory service manual for $10 shipped on eBay! Worth a read for sure. I'm trying to avoid a shop diagnostic since that money could be used towards repair. Financial strain and all that jazz.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Another typical question is: Is the radiator fan working?
When the A/C is not being cooled by the radiator fan it will "short cycle" turn on and off at fairly short intervals.