Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
$300 for a 'minor' dealership service?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2016, 08:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default $300 for a 'minor' dealership service?

G'day folks,

My car was last serviced January last year, I left it too long, I know. But I've only done about 6200 miles. It has had idling issues, vibration issues and shudder issues since I got it, plus major suspension squeaking/stiffness in cold weather. Front rotors need replacing, brake pads are no doubt close, suspension bearings might be worn, and spark plugs might be done. Battery is going out the door, it needs two rear tires, a new air filter box. Not to mention I'm still putting off a timing belt, water pump, accessories and engine mount job.

I kept telling myself I'd do a quality oil change job myself and replace the rotors but I've never had the time, so I finally booked it with the dealership but I get the feeling they'll change the oil, put a mediocre MOPAR filter in there and check my washer fluid. I don't want to pay $300 just so they can tell me I need a zillion dollars worth of work done

The guys couldn't even tell me the micron rating of the filter, which is a nominal 20. Pretty average. I asked if they use an oil meeting Chrysler materials standards, they said yes but I doubt they'd say no. I asked about changing coolant, apparently that'd be a $220 job on it's own!

The car is on 92k miles But I get the feeling this 'minor' service is just throwing money away which I could be spending on quality parts. Thoughts?

Last edited by 917K; 27 Jun 2016 at 08:30 am.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 10:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: $300 for a 'minor' dealership service?

The dealer in my area are up to $95 an hour or a set charge when they send flyers out to get you to come in. I take advantage of the $30 oil change for my wife's Chevy Cruze which is still under warranty and have to deal with the service adviser who tries to sell me everything under the sun ( brake fluid change, radiator flush, trans flush etc.) The dealers usually don't make a lot of money selling cars, it's the service area that pulls the profits.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:00 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 917K View Post
G'day folks,

My car was last serviced January last year, I left it too long, I know. But I've only done about 6200 miles. It has had idling issues, vibration issues and shudder issues since I got it, plus major suspension squeaking/stiffness in cold weather. Front rotors need replacing, brake pads are no doubt close, suspension bearings might be worn, and spark plugs might be done. Battery is going out the door, it needs two rear tires, a new air filter box. Not to mention I'm still putting off a timing belt, water pump, accessories and engine mount job.

I kept telling myself I'd do a quality oil change job myself and replace the rotors but I've never had the time, so I finally booked it with the dealership but I get the feeling they'll change the oil, put a mediocre MOPAR filter in there and check my washer fluid. I don't want to pay $300 just so they can tell me I need a zillion dollars worth of work done

The guys couldn't even tell me the micron rating of the filter, which is a nominal 20. Pretty average. I asked if they use an oil meeting Chrysler materials standards, they said yes but I doubt they'd say no. I asked about changing coolant, apparently that'd be a $220 job on it's own!

The car is on 92k miles But I get the feeling this 'minor' service is just throwing money away which I could be spending on quality parts. Thoughts?
When I inquired a while back, the service manager at my local dealership told me that the MOPAR oil filters are made by WIX, and they make pretty good products, so I request that. The dealerships probably use bulk oil from a drum, but I provide the oil and they only charge me $10 for their labor plus the filter. When I was using one dealership for repairs and providing the parts, I know the service manager didn't like that because I was cutting into their profits, but I understood that they were providing no warranty on any parts that I supplied, just on their labor.
917K likes this.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:37 am
Cool Cruiser

The Chrysler filter tested here http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2192.pdf does allow 4.6 times more 20 micron dirt to pass compared to AMSOIL's filter.
917K likes this.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you've already booked the dealer, so discussion is moot.
No independent garages around? They can change oil and do brakes, and you can specify brand of oil, filter, and brake pads.
I'd be less inclined to go to some garage for the timing belt, unless they've done the timing belts on other PTs, so you might be stuck with the dealer for that.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 27 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's one of those things, I guess. If you provide your own parts and fluids, you have to assume they've used them. But 5 litres of Mobil 1 costs $100 here, not $20 like in the states, so it's a question of if you'd want to hand that over, along with a $30+ AMSOIL filter. I asked if they'd provide the old parts and they basically said in your dreams

I can cancel the booking, they won't care. That's why I'm asking here, I suppose. It seems I could buy a set of rotors, oil, a filter, a battery, and a couple other things for $300. But I wouldn't get to hear their perspective on how much work my car needs, do I even need to hear it? I know they'll say it needs everything done, even if it doesn't.

I'm thinking it's easier to get it done just this once and squeeze as much information out of them as I can and then in future I can keep a schedule of my own.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 07:16 am
Veteran Cruiser

Bottom line is it's your time and money and decision. Let us know what you do and what they find, IF you let them do it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Well, I had the work done. I'm a little upset so I really appreciate the help you guys could give.

Just to clarify: the cruiser is 2006 and has just over 139,000 km on it (86k miles).

It's unclear what was done, exactly, but apparently the oil and filter were changed, new drain plug, washer additive, some wipers. It says on the receipt they used Castrol Edge Prof 5W20. I pointed out the wrong viscosity and they claimed it's just a generic receipt. I'm not full of confidence. The interior of my car was a mess too. They also didn't report the warped front rotors, which is odd, or the back tires which are cactus.

Right... $299 AUD.

Apparently I need the following:
  • Rear Break Pads - ?
  • Rocker Cover Leaking - $266
  • Power Steering High Pressure Hose Leaking - $540
  • R/H Drive Shaft Boot Split - $480 (reconditioned - $850)
  • Timing Belt - $1500 + Additional work after motor removed - may need cam seals / water pump / mounts / idlers

I'm very unhappy about being fobbed off over the rocker cover. I had the rocker cover done December 2014 at another Chrysler dealer, specifically as part of a roadworthy certificate. They did not want to explain why this is apparently leaking. I should not need to replace the rocker cover.

I expected the WHOLE timing system to cost max $1500. I hoped that would include ALL the parts and labour though. $1500 just for the belt is really pushing it, considering a water pump is a few hundred on its own.

Can someone justify these repairs I apparently need done? Would appreciate information about the power steering hose and the CV boot, why they might need doing, if they should cost that much, what would cause them to fail, etc. Why would only one CV boot fail?

Can I be sure the PS hose really needs replacing? If the rocker cover is leaking again, they may have just seen oil on the hose and assumed it was leaking.

I do not have $2500+ and I just spent $299 on apparently not much at all and I now have to take this rocker cover thing further, possibly to the parent company if they won't take responsibility. Any advice?

Last edited by 917K; 30 Jun 2016 at 03:16 am.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 03:26 am
Regular Cruiser

Just to add: for the last year and a half since it was serviced I have not had any leaking. I've only driven about 5500 - 6200 miles. I check regularly, no leaks. No oil, no power steering fluid. The idea that the rocker cover is now apparently leaking and the PS hose is leaking, makes no sense.

If the PS hose was leaking, I'd have PS fluid everywhere, surely? It's under pressure, it'd be EVERYWHERE.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 07:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Seems like it's time for you to invest in some tools and learn how to do some repairs yourself. Not so much the timing belt, but the other issues are things you COULD do yourself, if you're willing to get your hands dirty and learn.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.