PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Jumped timing

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2016, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Jumped timing

I have seen a thread about a broken timing belt and if the engine is interference . My question is what if the engine jumped time to where it would not start. Would that cause the valves to hit the piston ?
Old 27 Jun 2016, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Jumped timing

Welcome to the forum

You may want to really introduce yourself ,tell us about your PT and then proceed with using the forum resources via member interaction?

Do you have a specif condition with your engine?
If so did you at least at least perform a compression test?

Your question really has to many variables for a simple answer.

The engine itself USA 2.4 gas model is categorized as a NONE interference engine however,
under the right circumstances it is possible that the intake and exhaust vales could touch each other. If this vary rare occurrence happened the noise would be pretty apparent and the engine at least the head most likely would be toast.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 27 Jun 2016, 06:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The term "jumped time" really doesn't apply to engines with belt driven cams. It applies to engines with worn timing chains, very high mileage, and worn gears, which allow the chain to jump a tooth or two usually at high RPM or shutdown. These engines may still run but poorly.
Engines using belts or direct gear drive stop when a failure occurs which is stripping of teeth from belt or gear. They will not start again until repairs are made.
chuzz likes this.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
The term "jumped time" really doesn't apply to engines with belt driven cams. It applies to engines with worn timing chains, very high mileage, and worn gears, which allow the chain to jump a tooth or two usually at high RPM or shutdown. These engines may still run but poorly.
Engines using belts or direct gear drive stop when a failure occurs which is stripping of teeth from belt or gear. They will not start again until repairs are made.

Well it did jump time .. I had already checked and the exhaust sprocket was out of sync by a couple teeth . This issue now is timing is correct and i have around 170 on each cylinder but it will not even try to start ? . This job started as a head gasket change. Head and valves checked out a ok . Go the engine done and the car started right up . It was however slightly low on antifreeze . So i let it cool down and topped it off but thought i had the poorly placed rad cap locked it was not ! Drove it around the block to check the temp . Got back and parked it let out a cloud from my mistake with the cap . Let the damn thing cool off again to discover the cap issue . Waited until the next morning went out and started the car . It ran for about 5 minutes and died to not restart . WTF ??? Got it into the garage and checked the belt timing . It was OFF the exhaust cam gear was off by a couple degrees / teeth . SO i got it all lined up again and tried to start the car . Again it would not start . It does make good compression . I have not checked for spark i know it is getting gas . Not sure what the hell is going on with this thing . So i am hoping one of you might have a suggestion .
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC73 View Post
Well it did jump time .. I had already checked and the exhaust sprocket was out of sync by a couple teeth . This issue now is timing is correct and i have around 170 on each cylinder but it will not even try to start ? . This job started as a head gasket change. Head and valves checked out a ok . Go the engine done and the car started right up . It was however slightly low on antifreeze . So i let it cool down and topped it off but thought i had the poorly placed rad cap locked it was not ! Drove it around the block to check the temp . Got back and parked it let out a cloud from my mistake with the cap . Let the damn thing cool off again to discover the cap issue . Waited until the next morning went out and started the car . It ran for about 5 minutes and died to not restart . WTF ??? Got it into the garage and checked the belt timing . It was OFF the exhaust cam gear was off by a couple degrees / teeth . SO i got it all lined up again and tried to start the car . Again it would not start . It does make good compression . I have not checked for spark i know it is getting gas . Not sure what the hell is going on with this thing . So i am hoping one of you might have a suggestion .
The second time that you tore it down, did you have to unplug the cam sensor and coil pack? It has happened before to others that during reassembly, they got these connections in the wrong places.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Ya gotta have spark. 4 components necessary for ignition to occur. Air, spark, fuel and compression. Since it's clear you have 3 of the 4, you NEED to check for spark. That sounds like what's going on. I do have to ask if you're rotating the engine a couple of times by hand and then rechecking your timing marks before reassembly. If not, you may be off a notch or two and not realize it. These are kind of a pain in the butt to get right the first time.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 03:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I never disconnected the cam sensor . I did unhook the coil pack for the compression test . I will do a test for spark tomorrow . One thing i notice is i hear a sound in the intake if i rotate the engine while holding the gas pedal all the way down is this normal ? Again the engine is making good compression 170 lbs at about 4 turns well over 100 lbs in two turns. Thank's for all the replies very frustrated . Wondering if the compression check means the valves are ok or not ?
Old 28 Jun 2016, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Welcome to the forum

You may want to really introduce yourself ,tell us about your PT and then proceed with using the forum resources via member interaction?

Do you have a specif condition with your engine?
If so did you at least at least perform a compression test?

Your question really has to many variables for a simple answer.

The engine itself USA 2.4 gas model is categorized as a NONE interference engine however,
under the right circumstances it is possible that the intake and exhaust vales could touch each other. If this vary rare occurrence happened the noise would be pretty apparent and the engine at least the head most likely would be toast.
You are an ase master mechanic so i am hoping you can help me figure out what the hell is wrong . From what i understand tdc at the crank is tdc there is no way for that to be 360 out . One thing that concerns me is the sound i hear when i turn it over holding the gas pedal all the way down . I hear what sounds like air in the intake . But it shows good compression if a valve was bent wouldn't it show on a compression test ? I am debating on if it did bend a valve or valves just r and r the engine for a used piece almost seems easier to me .

Last edited by JohnC73; 28 Jun 2016 at 03:52 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Did your belt break or strip the cogs off? I got bent valves once when the timing belt cogs were stripped over the intake cam.
Compression was abysmal.
Are you sure you plugged the coil pack in all the way?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 28 Jun 2016, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Did your belt break or strip the cogs off? I got bent valves once when the timing belt cogs were stripped over the intake cam.
Compression was abysmal.
Are you sure you plugged the coil pack in all the way?
Belt is new coilpack is plugged in fine .