Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser parts/labor estimate from mechanic

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2016, 10:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT Cruiser parts/labor estimate from mechanic

(98,000 miles) I'm trying to figure out if the estimate my mechanic gave me is reasonable. Knowing nothing about car engines, I'm in that dreaded position of not knowing if my car needs these repairs and if so, am I getting a reasonable quote. Here's the list:

Two motor mounts - one top and one bottom both on passenger side
parts/labor $446

Water pump leak
Thermostat Housing leak
Timing Belt
parts/labor $620

My AC isn't working so I asked him to give me a price for that as well. He said it didn't have any freon so he would first try adding freon to see if that is the problem

Add Freon
parts/labor $115

Altogether this is more than I can afford so I'm trying to decide if I should just sell her as is or start fixing her up - one thing at a time.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:28 pm
Banned

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser parts/labor estimate from mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by altadenacruiser View Post
(98,000 miles) I'm trying to figure out if the estimate my mechanic gave me is reasonable. Knowing nothing about car engines, I'm in that dreaded position of not knowing if my car needs these repairs and if so, am I getting a reasonable quote. Here's the list:

parts/labor $446

Water pump leak
Thermostat Housing leak
Timing Belt
parts/labor $620

My AC isn't working so I asked him to give me a price for that as well. He said it didn't have any freon so he would first try adding freon to see if that is the problem

Add Freon
parts/labor $115

Altogether this is more than I can afford so I'm trying to decide if I should just sell her as is or start fixing her up - one thing at a time.
Welcome to the forum

As a combined job for the timing belt and motor mount work, $1066, is about on the low end of what a dealership would charge, anywhere from $1000-$1500 is typical. What you should consider in the total job would be to replace: timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler pulley, (2) cam seals, crank seal, center motor mount. These addtional parts would raise your overall repair a little for the parts, not much addtional for labor since the area will already be torn apart.

The thermostat housing leak the tech might have to remove the upper plenum, if that's the case, it might be wise to have the thermostat and radiator hoses replaced, especially the top one since the plenum will be off and allow easy access.

Are you the original owner and you know the service history from the beginning?

Last edited by rckstein; 27 Jun 2016 at 11:30 pm.
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

parts/labor $446

Water pump leak
Thermostat Housing leak
Timing Belt
parts/labor $620

I would suggest going back and asking for an estimate with all of this combined. To me the estimate would be lower in labor costs.
917K likes this.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 05:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest going back and asking for an estimate with all of this combined. To me the estimate would be lower in labor costs.
I agree. The quote for the timing belt job is actually very cheap (compared to a dealership), assuming they're replacing ALL the accessory components as well as the belt and water pump, using a quality kit or OEM parts. Replacing the mounts involves the same labour of disassembly as replacing the timing system, so their quote should go down to reflect that.

Most people seem to have it replaced around 92k miles. Rubbers deteriorate with age too, so mileage isn't the only thing. The PT Cruiser uses a non interference engine, critical damage from a failed belt is uncommon, but still possible. If your car is older than 10 years or is driven daily, I think it would be prudent to get it done

Last edited by 917K; 28 Jun 2016 at 05:26 am.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 09:05 am
Banned

If anything, the quote for the mount work may go down, because the torque struts have to be removed anyway to do the other work, so that would be just the new parts required. But then the quote for the timing belt, water pump and other parts may go up. What level of shop is doing the work, dealership or lube and tune place? How experienced is the mechanic on doing this work on a PT? What brand/quality of parts will be used?

Tags
2006, motor mounts, parts and labor cost, repairs