PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP? Feedback needed 2006 PT Cruiser

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2016, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question HELP? Feedback needed 2006 PT Cruiser

Hi There, so today i'm driving home for lunch on a toll bridge and my 2006 PT Cruiser was giving me trouble with the instrument panel lights and gauge needles. I'll be driving along - usually having just gotten in the car - and suddenly my instrument lights will rapidly blink on and off. Then the needles will quickly drop to zero, and then return to where they need to be. I've also experienced a loss of engine power very briefly. All of this continues for several seconds ( which of course feels like the end of the world until it stops) and then it stops, and everything returns to normal.

I got the car last year from a dealer that my brother in law did some work for. It had less than 28,000 miles on it. It will be 1 year since i had it on this last June. 06, 2016

I notice that since i have had the car sometimes i go to put the key in the ignition and the key won't budge to turn on the car. I thought it was the battery in the key for the alarm so i replaced the battery for my key and the back up spare key. Well, the car still does this from time to time. I was in Crestview the other day and it did it. I'm like "wow i'm totally screwed" I don't know anyone where i moved and so i keep turning on the alarm on and off on and off and the car finally lets me turn the key and the ignition and car starts and we drive home until today when the lights flicker, etc ( refer to post above)
I thought it might be the cam shaft position sensor since the car is pulling "tugging" and the OBD light comes on a red on where the MPH are than a yellow on where the RPM's are.
I know almost nothing about this.
Trying to find a place to fix it. Scared to drive it in case it breaks down and i'm
I can get it looked at on Monday at the earliest since it's 4th of July weekend.
I called one place and the guy wanted to charge me $155.00 for a diagnostic test alone <--- lol really. I'm no car expert but SERIOUSLY Please!
All i know it i need my car for work, i'm a single mom and i'm with no car.. Kinda scared to drive it especially on a toll bridge and it stop (Whoa)
Any feedback would be appreciated and noted from any of you knowledgeable men that know about this stuff.
I'm like Little Miss Muffet with no Tuffet
Old 28 Jun 2016, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP? Feedback needed 2006 PT Cruiser

I would suggest a battery load test first. Take your PT Cruiser to an auto parts store where they will give you a battery load test for free. Make sure they input the correct battery amperage. The battery needs to be working properly to keep the engine voltage to a proper level to keep it running.

Is the engine light on? If so you can take it to an auto parts store where they can give you the engine trouble codes. Make sure there is no charge for this service.

Do you have lots of keys on your key ring when you use your key to start the PT Cruiser?
MellysPT likes this.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 10:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

G'day Melly, welcome! Head over to the new member page and introduce yourself, we'd love to see a picture of your Cruiser!

Steve makes a good point about the keys, a heavy keyring can cause wear to the cylinder of the lock in the ignition. Locks need to be lubricated with powdered graphite. Pour a little onto your key or into the lock, then put the key in and turn it back and forth to distribute the graphite. Make sure you don't make a mess! The powder is so fine it can fly everywhere

You can get a little bottle at a hardware shop or possibly a clock repairers/locksmith for a few dollars. Don't use any kind of oil or grease lubricant in any lock mechanism!

It's also possible the key itself is worn. Check if the key is bent, this is a common problem. Are the teeth worn or rounded?

Last edited by 917K; 28 Jun 2016 at 10:29 pm.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 07:10 am
Veteran Cruiser

If it were mine, I'd replace the ignition switch and key. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, so that's just an opinion, not a solution.
MellysPT likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
If it were mine, I'd replace the ignition switch and key. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, so that's just an opinion, not a solution.
So, I found out today that it's the alternator and etc etc. The two guys that came and looked at my car tried to take advantage of me being female and a single mom. Not knowing much about cars. Well, i'm not an idiot. I did not let them work on the car. Listen to your INTUITION!!!
I can google, talk to my male friends etc.... I'm not a dumba$$!
They said PT Cruisers are LEMONS and that i'm going to keep having problems and i needed a new timing belt yet my car has 35,777 miles on it and it needs a new timing belt around 70,000 to 80,000 miles give or a take some miles, Right???
I can't drive my car to work etc. People are not so friendly when you gotta bum a ride. You find out who your real friends are. It's a ride not your life. Really! lol
Anyways, i will move to the next step and fix it
Buy the part and have it fixed After this holiday... :rolls eyes:
3 Posts and 96 views, Thank you to the 3 that left me a post
I appreciate your help
and to the other 93 views Thanks! :rolls eyes:
Car repair guys who "TRY" to take advantage of women (whoa!) Really!!
They quoted me $1,422.00 or an alternator and timing belt ohhh and a water pump (said i better change that and some gaskets well they're at it) Idk...

P.S Ignition switch comes later i will fix/get the 2 keys taken care of

Thank you for any repliesi get =)~
Old 04 Jul 2016, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I found out today that it's the alternator
This can be checked for free by having an auto parts store do a battery load test. it checks the charging system to make sure the generator (alternator) is working properly with the battery included. Make sure they set up the battery load tester for the correct amps the battery is suppose to hold.

my 2006 PT Cruiser was giving me trouble with the instrument panel lights and gauge needles.
This could be from the ignition switch or the TIPM not working properly. I have had the same problem for over 2 years and most of the time it will not stop the PT Cruiser from driving it. I just keep up the battery and make sure the battery fluid level is to the proper level. The gauges go down for up to 5 minutes and then they start working again. After I take care of the battery it will not do it again for 2 months average.

since i have had the car sometimes i go to put the key in the ignition and the key won't budge to turn on the car This should be your first priority to repair. Is the key not turning to the "On" position or just not cranking the starter? If the key is not turning I would suggest having a key shop give you an estimate to replace the key cylinder if its not working properly. Make sure the key shop gives you a 90 day warranty in case they don't do the job correctly.

You don't want to start throwing money at it. Do it the smart way by doing a complete diagnosis first. Concentrate on the ignition switch first after doing the free battery load test. You want to make sure your PT Cruiser has the proper voltage for everything to run properly.

Post what you find out on the battery load test and the estimate on the key cylinder. We are here to make sure you are not spending unnecessary funds on your PT Cruiser.
917K and MellysPT like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jul 2016 at 03:11 pm.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 03:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I found out today that it's the alternator
This can be checked for free by having an auto parts store do a battery load test. it checks the charging system to make sure the generator (alternator) is working properly with the battery included. Make sure they set up the battery load tester for the correct amps the battery is suppose to hold.

my 2006 PT Cruiser was giving me trouble with the instrument panel lights and gauge needles.
This could be from the ignition switch or the TIPM not working properly. I have had the same problem for over 2 years and most of the time it will not stop the PT Cruiser from driving it. I just keep up the battery and make sure the battery fluid level is to the proper level. The gauges go down for up to 5 minutes and then they start working again. After I take care of the battery it will not do it again for 2 months average.

since i have had the car sometimes i go to put the key in the ignition and the key won't budge to turn on the car This should be your first priority to repair. Is the key not turning to the "On" position or just not cranking the starter? If the key is not turning I would suggest having a key shop give you an estimate to replace the key cylinder if its not working properly. Make sure the key shop gives you a 90 day warranty in case they don't do the job correctly.

You don't want to start throwing money at it. Do it the smart way by doing a complete diagnosis first. Concentrate on the ignition switch first after doing the free battery load test. You want to make sure your PT Cruiser has the proper voltage for everything to run properly.

Post what you find out on the battery load test and the estimate on the key cylinder. We are here to make sure you are not spending unnecessary funds on your PT Cruiser.
I know it's the alternator. The guy came out and did a diagnostic test today and i spoke with my brother in law and other male friends so it is the alternator and ignition switch.
I will start the hunt for a car repair shop tomorrow, closed today for 4th of July.
My battery is good and the grounds etc
I cannot drive the car because it may shut down.
One day at a time and one step at a time
Thank you for your reply
wingman55 likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did both problems come up at the same time or do you feel they are separate issues?
MellysPT likes this.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 04:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Melly, before you spend the money on a new switch, try this CHEAP alternative. Go to ANY auto parts store and get some graphite. Sometimes it comes in a powder, sometimes in a small aerosol can. Put some into the ignition switch and rotate it several times from accessory position to start position. Don't try to start the car, just rotate the key back and forth about a dozen times or so. You may just need some lubrication in the switch and the graphite is the ONLY recommended lubricant for any type of lock. If some idiot recommends WD40 or any type liquid, ignore them. As a matter of fact, run away from them!
If the graphite doesn't work, then you're only out a couple of bucks. If it does work, you saved yourself thirty to fifty bucks, most likely. Let us know what you do. We're here to help if we can.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Jul 2016, 07:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did both problems come up at the same time or do you feel they are separate issues?
No, both problems are seperate. The igniton locking has only happened 4-5 times in a year since i had the car. I got it from a dealer in New Orleans. Well, the dealers elderly mother owned the car "cliche" but it's true. It only had less than 28,000 miles on it and i got it for a steal of a deal. It's been almost perfect without and problems. I do the maintenance that it needs and keep her clean. She's sick now (My car) but i will get her fixed.
Another week without my car
I will try the graphite when i can
Thank you =)