PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dipstick Tube

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2016, 09:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Dipstick Tube

Figured I would ask here before I make any more of a mess of things. Plastic dipstick (oil) handle broke off. The broken piece is probably over an inch further into the tube than it should be and I don't think I am getting it out without pulling the tue. I figured the easiest way to deal with it would be to pull the dipstick tube out. Undid the bolt to the intake, but it is stuck in there pretty tight.

Aren't these just slip fit like all the other Mopars I have worked on? Is there a preferred/easy way to yank the dipstick tube so I can get rid of this broken dipstick and stuff a new one in there?

Car is an '03 turbo, but I don't think that matters much other than the part number on the tube/dipstick. I think they are held in the same way. Other cars I generally just yanked them up, but I guess the reason that I was pulling them out was just because they were already loose!
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Dipstick Tube

Have you tried a stiff piece of wire with a 1/8" bend at the tip so you can slide the wire down, engage the plastic remnant and pull it out?
Fk5 likes this.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Have you tried a stiff piece of wire with a 1/8" bend at the tip so you can slide the wire down, engage the plastic remnant and pull it out?
Haha. I didn't want to admit it, but how do you think the dipstick got lodged so deep? Basically, the plastic plug is filling the whole tube. I tried (and failed miserably) with a set of Harbor Freight dental picks.

I don't think there is any wire slipping between that plug on the tube. I have read about drilling a hole and putting a screw in and pulling it out, but that doesn't seem easy and will probably be dumping plastic shavings into my oil pickup.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Light it with a 500 watt halogen work light, add the screaming profanity and you have a pretty good picture of me after work last night.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:33 am
Regular Cruiser

So the dipstick is still in the tube? What about drilling a very small hole into the remaining plastic then using a threaded rod to engage the remnant? You can get thin rods with threads on the end at a hobby shop that caters to the RC aircraft crowd.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
So the dipstick is still in the tube? What about drilling a very small hole into the remaining plastic then using a threaded rod to engage the remnant? You can get thin rods with threads on the end at a hobby shop that caters to the RC aircraft crowd.
Won't that just risk plastic shavings in the oil pan/pickup? I thought it would be easier to pull the tube. Maybe not?
Old 30 Jun 2016, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Debris will go to the bottom of the sump and remain there pretty much forever until you pull the pan. There is a sump screen. Unless you are holding extreme engines speeds for a long period it is not likely you would pull enough oil from the sump to even pick up anything that was at the bottom of it.

So read between the lines what i am saying.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Debris will go to the bottom of the sump and remain there pretty much forever until you pull the pan. There is a sump screen. Unless you are holding extreme engines speeds for a long period it is not likely you would pull enough oil from the sump to even pick up anything that was at the bottom of it.

So read between the lines what i am saying.
So subtle!

I guess I am scared off after having seen more than one old Pontiac V-8 with the pickup screen blocked with the nylon worn off the timing gears.

It seemed to me that pulling the dipstick tube out would be a fairly straightforward deal. You guys seem to be indicating that it is more trouble than it is worth. I have a pretty straight shot at the base, because the fan is still out.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 11:39 am
Regular Cruiser

You could get a piece of threaded RC rod, heat it up, and insert it into the remaining plastic and tease out the dipstick.
Fk5 likes this.