PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
coolant fan list of questions

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2016, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question coolant fan list of questions

I have a 2006 pt and the coolant fan doesn't work. As long as the car is moving the temp stays in parameters so I know the system itself is OK it's just a fan problem itself. I have replaced the relays already so that was OK. In diagnosing the problem I came up with a few questions.
Does the coolant temperature sensor by the thermostat give the reading for the coolant gauge on the dash?
Does that same one control the on and off function of the fan?
If not is there a way to see if the sensor is bad without replacing it.
Is there a way to test the fan to see if it will run without taking it out of the car?
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: coolant fan list of questions

I don't know about the control on the 06 as I THINK that's the first year for the TIPM. You can unplug the fan and run a couple of jumper wires direct from the battery to the plug and see if it works. That's the easiest way I know to see if the motor is bad or if there's a wiring problem somewhere.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes? You can take it to an auto parts store if you don't have a OBDII Scan Tool.

Does your fan automatically come on when you turn on the A/C? If not then its possible something other then the engine temperature sensor is the problem unless you had A/C problems also before this happened.

Have you been having A/C problems before the radiator fan quit working?

Have you checked the wire connector going to the radiator fan? Sometimes they lose contact and start melting.

When was the last time the radiator fan was replaced?

Have you checked your coolant level by taking the cap off?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 30 Jun 2016 at 02:22 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did and no codes came up.
The fan does NOT come on with the A/C.
I was low on freon but still no fan.
Connector looks good not melted.
car has 157000 and never replaced. (I am thinking that might be it)
Coolant level OK

Re: coolant fan list of questions
Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes? You can take it to an auto parts store if you don't have a OBDII Scan Tool.

Does your fan automatically come on when you turn on the A/C?

Have you checked the wire connector going to the radiator fan? Sometimes they lose contact and start melting.

Old 30 Jun 2016, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseephoto View Post

Coolant level OK

If you are low on freon then your radiator fan might not kick in when you turn the A/C on.

On the coolant level the radiator cap should be taken off as you might have air in the coolant system and not know it.

I would suggest that if there is no air in the coolant system and the coolant level is good to do as Chuzz suggested. Manually apply 12 volts to the radiator fan high and low speeds with the plug disconnected.

You should not be driving the PT Cruiser until you get the radiator fans working properly. Post what you find out.
Old 30 Jun 2016, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseephoto View Post
Coolant level OK

I think its rare to find a coolant fan that would last over 100,000 miles or your extremely lucky. The AC (high speed) fan must be running to attain proper charge.
If your fan will not run after replacement I would look closely at the pins inside the connector for heat related damage. Even if you check the pins and find the ground the female pin may expand and not make contact making both speeds inoperable
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 30 Jun 2016, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ptcruisersteve
To apply 12v do I take the relays out and apply 12v there?
I worry when putting voltage to parts because the results can be shocking.
Please advise with any details you can about checking voltage
The coolant is OK. I found out about the bleeder valve on another forum page and got the air out. Decided to replace the thermostat that day since I was trying things anyway and at 150000 miles why not.
As far as Freon I might be a little low but I don't use air very often I hate the cold so as much summer I can get I use wind to cool myself.
After reading about this I have ordered a new fan and will replace.
JoeX
I will check the pins and I have done well with this car I owned it since it had 8000 miles on it in 2007 and enjoy the car and the utility it offers.
I probably will not have any results for about a week since the fan won't come until Tuesday
Thanks
Old 30 Jun 2016, 06:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Here is a picture of the fan relay receptacles with the relays removed

Note that the bottom of the picture corresponds to the front of the car. This view is what you would see if you were bending over the front of the car into the engine compartment. The 4 pictures show what I encountered when testing my faulty fan. It turned out that the low speed brushes were worn out which is why the measurement on picture #1 showed Zero Volts on the left relay.

When I shorted the pins, I was doing the same as "energizing" the relay and closing the switch. The reason why picture #4 caused the fan to run was because the pins closest to the radiator are live +12 Volts so I was simply applying 12V to the left fan relay in #2 and doing the same in #4.

If you have an ohm meter, you can check the resistance from the rear pins to chassis ground and it should be a bit under 1 ohm. If it is at infinity, then the brushes on that side are likely worn out.

If your fan is the problem the good news is a new one is about $85 + shipping at Rock Auto. Local Autozone stores charge double for the same fan. You can look up Youtube videos to see that replacing the fan is pretty easy.

Hope that helps

Last edited by rsrocket1; 30 Jun 2016 at 06:18 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2016, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well Thanks All
I ended up putting a new fan in and it seems to work fine. I seem to have one occasional problem so far. Once the fan turns on it doesn't seem to want to turn off even after it has cooled down the radiator. If I turn off the car it resets and works fine. Even though the temps are in high 80's low 90's it hasn't turned on much to tell if it is a problem or a one time thing.
So to recap.
If your PT overheats moving or standing still you have a flow or lack of coolant problem.
If your PT cruiser overheats only when standing still and temp stays in range when moving then you probably have fan system problem. If you really need to use your car I found out that if you put your heater on full blast it will keep car in correct range, but that sure is uncomfortable in the heat of the summer, but doable, not recommended but doable.
If your car has over 100,000 miles you probably need a new fan.
Other things to check.
If your car temp gauge works then you probably don't have to replace the coolant sensing probe.
Check the relays rsrocket1 was nice enough to supply a diagram on checking the fan without relays in. Great job!
Ptcuiser steve, Chuzz, JoeX and rsrocket1 All gave me the right info so I could eliminate the possiblities and correct my problem.
So it's friday afternoon and 93 degrees out so I am going to put the windows down and relax as I drive this summer without fear of overheating.
Thanks guys
I hope there is a way to get this info out there so people can find it and eliminate having to research like I did.
rckstein and VsandFords like this.
Old 09 Jul 2016, 07:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree with you about getting the information out. Overheating seems to be one of the most common problems brought up by people joining this forum and one of the most common problems with PT Cruisers out on the net.

The brushes on the fan motor seem to have a track record of considerably less than the "expected ownership" life of the car (100,000 miles) and while it's pretty easy to fix, if you don't know any better, a mechanic could throw a bunch of stuff at it for $$$ without fixing the problem.

The good news is that the original fan assembly allows you to jumper the relays by removing them from the fan housing. Replacement fans are sometimes set up differently. Such is the case with the Doorman fan I got from Rock Auto:

I haven't tried to disassemble the relays on the new fan but I would assume they pull out from the bottom rather than the top. Doorman claims the fans have a "lifetime warranty". I don't know if you have to pay to ship them back or what. Autozone carries the same fan for 70% more $ but you have the advantage of simply taking the fan back to the local store for a free replacement.