PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help! TIPM replacement walk-through?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HippysChick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2016, 10:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default Help! TIPM replacement walk-through?

Okay, bought the new TIPM. I can see where it is. I popped off the cover and took out the screws underneath but the whole assembly is still in there. Husband says the air filter box needs to come out but there doesn't look to be a logical way to remove that and I don't want to eff anything up.

I don't have our Haynes manual, which is not a help. (Took it over to the nephew to have him help troubleshoot and haven't seen it since.)

Could anyone advise on how to get the TIPM out of the car, please? Any links that might be useful?

Thanks in advance!

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 02 Jul 2016, 10:10 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Help! TIPM replacement walk-through?

Incidentally, I did tell him that removing the air filter box was a straightforward pull it straight up. He disagreed.

So I looked it up. And got a link to this forum. Which confirmed what I said....

*gibbers*

This could be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong day!

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 02 Jul 2016, 10:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

I haven't replaced a TIPM, but, yes, the air filter box has to come out to allow easy access to the TIPM. Just undo the screws on the air hose and disconnect the hose from the PCV valve to the air box and pick it straight up. There are a couple of rubber "bushings" that hold it in. Once you get it out of the way, you should have plenty of room for the task at hand. Once again, make sure you disconnect the battery.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Be very careful not to pull on any wires. Be aware of any resistance when you are pulling out the TIPM and if there is resistance check to see where its coming from.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 11:05 am
Young Cruiser

Yes, the - if you are standing looking down the hood to the front bumper - left side doesn't want to come out. Hubby thinks the cables are so short there's no slack. I suspect it may be a clip that isn't unfastened, but am not sure.

I know it SHOULD be a simple job, but apparently where cars are concerned nothing is simple!

The air filter box is now out, I found that information and relayed it to him (I'd already told him that that was how the Advance Auto Parts chap removed it to switch out the battery - oh, did I mention that we replaced the battery a few months ago, and that may have been when the issues began?!

Thanks for the replies thus far, I really do appreciate them.

Old 02 Jul 2016, 08:19 pm
Young Cruiser

All done! Car is running like a dream, and MY HORN WORKS!!!

rckstein and LionPT like this.

Old 02 Jul 2016, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's great news.

I would suggest holding off returning the original TIPM for the core charge if there is one for as long as you can to make sure the New TIPM is working properly.

P.S. if there is no core charge for the original TIPM I wouldn't mind having it if you don't plan to keep it paying for shipping charges. I would like to see if I can repair it for one of my PT Cruisers.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jul 2016 at 08:28 pm.
Old 02 Jul 2016, 08:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippysChick View Post
All done! Car is running like a dream, and MY HORN WORKS!!!

Well you and your husband had the nerve to take it on

Where did you get the replacement from? New or remanufactured?

And the shop wanted how much to replace it?
Old 02 Jul 2016, 09:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
That's great news.

I would suggest holding off returning the original TIPM for the core charge if there is one for as long as you can to make sure the New TIPM is working properly.

P.S. if there is no core charge for the original TIPM I wouldn't mind having it if you don't plan to keep it paying for shipping charges. I would like to see if I can repair it for one of my PT Cruisers.
I drove maybe forty miles this evening, with hubby in the car. It seems to be grand - just one little wrinkle.

Now, you may recall that my issues all began around December - after I (in mid-November) I T-boned an Olds sedan. Well, the airbags did not deploy in that accident, but I have never had an airbag warning light or any related codes.

Well, after replacing the TIPM, the airbag warning light on came on and stayed on.

I reckon that in maybe forty feet, I can't have decelerated from about 40 mph down to much less than 20 mph, and the impact was pretty much bang in the middle of my front. Whether that means anything or not, I do not know!

Is there some trick I don't know about to get the light to go off, or is it a case of having the airbag module checked out?

As far as giving you the old TIPM, I get $130 back in core for it from Rock Auto, else I would do so gladly. Sorry! That makes the total cost to me $270, and Chrysler quoted 'at least $1,000'.

If we were both physically sound and had had the Haynes manual, I reckon it would have taken an hour tops, if that. It really was quite a simple job, albeit a little fiddly. Hubby had to keep taking breaks to rest his legs and back (and had to take one of my Tylenol #3, he was so sore, as did I and all I did was a bit of bending over the side of the car and try to wiggle out connectors.)

So, yeah, anyone who is reasonably able to read and follow instructions should have no trouble with it at all.

Old 02 Jul 2016, 09:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Well you and your husband had the nerve to take it on

Where did you get the replacement from? New or remanufactured?

And the shop wanted how much to replace it?

Bought the replacement via Rock Auto, it came from A1 Cardone, I paid for the two-day Fedex delivery and it arrived about 4:30 Friday afternoon (I ordered it Wednesday night.) It was a hair under $400 including I think $16 for faster shipping.

It's a remanufactured part, I don't believe you can buy a new one, or at least so far as I could find out you can't. May be different via a dealership, I don't know. Given that it seems most of the issues are with the 2007 model (some 06, but mostly 07), Chrysler may actually not have a stock of replacements, if that makes sense?

Chrysler quoted me at least $1,000 depending on how many error codes etc were being thrown up. (I smelled bullpoo and almost said as much.) Actually, I am mistaken! My indy shop said $1,000 and Chrysler said $1,200 or so!