PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbag light on after changing TIPM

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2016, 12:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Airbag light on after changing TIPM

The one little fly in the ointment after changing the TIPM yesterday!

When I had my accident last November, the airbags did not deploy. It was a near as damn it is to swearing, full frontal impact into the side of the other vehicle. I doubt I could have slowed down from 40 mph in the space of forty or fifty feet by all that much, and fully expected the airbags to go off. The cop who attended the scene was surprised and had me get out of the car in case they went off later.

I had no airbag light afterwards.

There have been various sensors, fan module and the horn go bad since.

Everything seems to be okay after changing out the TIPM, but I do now have this airbag light on. It came on when I started it up after changing the TIPM and hasn't gone out.

Anyone know if this is likely to mean I need a new airbag module, or is this the source of the fault that did for the old TIPM?

I'm hoping I just need it reset, but am not sure!

Previous PT Cruiser: 2007 Touring Edition (non-Turbo) in Ocean Pearl.

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 03 Jul 2016, 12:47 pm
Banned

Default Re: Airbag light on after changing TIPM

There night be some programming required by a dealership after a TIPM replacement? I was reading a thread where a dealership has to program for what options the vehicle has. That may be one part why the dealership charges so much, because it includes programming.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The airbag can save your life if you get into a major crash. You can replace your PT Cruiser but you can't replace a life.

I would suggest taking it to the dealer to find out the codes that triggered the airbag light to come on. The airbags are very expensive if you accidentally trigger the airbag to go off when diagnosing the problem.

The fact that the airbag did not go off in the accident before you replaced the PCM indicates a possible problem in the airbag circuit or the airbag itself.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jul 2016 at 10:31 am.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 01:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Grr!!

I might see if the indy shop can scan it and see what codes are coming up. Likely to be a sight cheaper than taking it to a Chrysler dealer, unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies!

Current Cruiser: 2007 Limited Edition Turbo, chrome trim package, Cool Vanilla (husband's car).

Now driving a 2014 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Ecoboost, Deep Impact blue (perhaps not the best name choice for a vehicle of mine!)
Old 03 Jul 2016, 01:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippysChick View Post
Grr!!

I might see if the indy shop can scan it and see what codes are coming up. Likely to be a sight cheaper than taking it to a Chrysler dealer, unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies!
Make sure you call first before driving to the indy shop. Some of these shops may not have the Scan Tool for the airbag codes.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 01:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Will give them a call on Tuesday morning. Won't be open until then, anyway! And it'll likely be a week before they can do that.

Old 03 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Went to see family for an hour a little while ago. Still getting the airbag light.

Got home, and decided to turn the key on and off three times in five seconds and see what codes it gave me.

No codes.

And guess what turned off, and has stayed off?

Yep, no airbag light any more!
rsrocket1 likes this.

Old 03 Jul 2016, 08:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Went to see family for an hour a little while ago. Still getting the airbag light.

Got home, and decided to turn the key on and off three times in five seconds and see what codes it gave me.

No codes.

And guess what turned off, and has stayed off?

Yep, no airbag light any more!
The "key dance" is marginal, at best, at displaying any active codes, and I have never heard of the procedure resetting any codes. You can go by any O'Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys or AutoZone and they will do a free code read. I don't think they can check the airbag electronics, but may be able to see if your PT has any pending codes since replacement of the TIPM.
Old 03 Jul 2016, 10:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
The "key dance" is marginal, at best, at displaying any active codes, and I have never heard of the procedure resetting any codes. You can go by any O'Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys or AutoZone and they will do a free code read. I don't think they can check the airbag electronics, but may be able to see if your PT has any pending codes since replacement of the TIPM.

Yeah, it seemed pretty weird to me, in all honesty.

I don't trust that car further than I can spit, even now. And that is a sad way to feel about a car.

I did have a good look at all the cables and the wires and check that things looked whole and unpinched/not torn or nicked. Given the location of the TIPM, it was well away from the site of the impact, and I can't imagine the airbag wiring would be anywhere near the front bumper.

Old 03 Jul 2016, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, it seemed pretty weird to me, in all honesty.

I don't trust that car further than I can spit, even now. And that is a sad way to feel about a car.

I did have a good look at all the cables and the wires and check that things looked whole and unpinched/not torn or nicked. Given the location of the TIPM, it was well away from the site of the impact, and I can't imagine the airbag wiring would be anywhere near the front bumper.
The question that comes to my mind is is the airbag working properly or not? The PT Cruisers are not one of the safest or bigger vehicles around so we need to keep that in mind.

I would suggest waiting til the airbag light comes back before taking it in to find out what what airbag codes you are getting.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 04 Jul 2016 at 10:30 am.