PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT does not shift sometimes - computer problem ?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2016, 10:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT does not shift sometimes - computer problem ?

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo with 52000 miles.

Sometimes the car does not shift the gear. If I pull over, turn off the car and turn on again, the problem disappear.

It is like the software is doing something wrong sometimes. Do you guys have some idea ?

I have a general transmission code that show us when the problem happens and disappear after some time.

Any insight is very appreciated.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 12:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: PT does not shift sometimes - computer problem ?

Since you have over 50,000 miles on it, I'd recommend a fluid and filter change to start with. Mopar ATF+4 fluid and an O'Reilly filter kit. If you put any other type of fluid in it, you're going to KILL your transmission.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoelramon View Post
I have a 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo with 52000 miles.

Sometimes the car does not shift the gear. If I pull over, turn off the car and turn on again, the problem disappear.

It is like the software is doing something wrong sometimes. Do you guys have some idea ?

I have a general transmission code that show us when the problem happens and disappear after some time.

Any insight is very appreciated.
The OBDII Scan Tool will only give you general codes for the transmission.
I would suggest you take it to a transmission shop that can give you the specific codes that will help you diagnose the problem.
Old 08 Jul 2016, 02:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will take a look in the fluid.. do you guys think could be an electrical issue with the TCM module ?
Old 08 Jul 2016, 09:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoelramon View Post
I will take a look in the fluid.. do you guys think could be an electrical issue with the TCM module ?
The only way to know is to start diagnosing the problem by taking it to a transmission repair shop that will give you the transmission codes. The OBDII Scan Tool will only give you the generic transmission codes.. Some transmission repair shops do not charge for telling you what the transmission codes are.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 08 Jul 2016, 10:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've "been there and done that" with another car that uses this same transmission. In mine, the transmission was actually just going into "limp home mode" every once in a while. This meant it would only shift from 1st to 2nd gear and then stay in 2nd. I had to pull over, shut the car off and then restart it to get it shifting right again.

There's several things that can cause this. One is low fluid pressure. The first thing I would do is take Chuzz's advice and change the fluid and filter. A very dirty filter might cause this. And frankly, it's the only cheap potential fix. So it's worth it to try it.

If no joy, I'd go to Ptcruisersteve's advice and have the tranny checked out at a trustworthy transmission shop. On these transmissions, it's often more cost-effective to let the folks with the right tools and equipment do the diagnosis. If you don't know of a good shop, ask the guys and gals at the local parts stores. They can likely give you some good references. And you might get lucky, it might just be the solenoid pack or something else that's relatively inexpensive to fix.
Old 08 Jul 2016, 12:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest getting the transmission codes first. If you change the transmission oil and filter and something changes you will want to know what were the transmission trouble codes were before this happened. A complete diagnosis is important before making any repairs.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 04:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Cool Re: PT does not shift sometimes - computer problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I've "been there and done that" with another car that uses this same transmission. In mine, the transmission was actually just going into "limp home mode" every once in a while. This meant it would only shift from 1st to 2nd gear and then stay in 2nd. I had to pull over, shut the car off and then restart it to get it shifting right again.

There's several things that can cause this. One is low fluid pressure. The first thing I would do is take Chuzz's advice and change the fluid and filter. A very dirty filter might cause this. And frankly, it's the only cheap potential fix. So it's worth it to try it.

If no joy, I'd go to Ptcruisersteve's advice and have the tranny checked out at a trustworthy transmission shop. On these transmissions, it's often more cost-effective to let the folks with the right tools and equipment do the diagnosis. If you don't know of a good shop, ask the guys and gals at the local parts stores. They can likely give you some good references. And you might get lucky, it might just be the solenoid pack or something else that's relatively inexpensive to fix.
This is happening to our car. Wouldn't shift out of second. No problem with the car beforehand. But, I'm interested in one thing, what is the transmission solenoid? How would I replace it?
Old 28 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The best advise is post # 7

While changing the fluid and filter is always a good idea it really should be a scheduled preventative maintenance and will not really cure most issues because you are only changing a small percentage of the fluid and none of the fluid in the torque converter. There are exception if you are refilling the transmission with additives or conditioners for mechanical parts treatment or special high detergent cleaners.
It is next to impossible unless the transmission has had parts damaged and metal fragments to fill the filter. Water introduced in the transmission can clog a filter. The surface area of a transmission filter is very large and can acomedate holding a lot of material before becoming restrictive of filled. But at that point your transmission is already beyond anything except a complete rebuild.

The reports of turning off the engine and restart temporarily resolving the issue sounds more mechanical than completely electrical because no other engine light or other issues with drivibility were mentioned.

Automatic Transmission issues should not be consider lightly and unless you have good diagnostic skills and familiar with how a computer controlled transmission and how it works it is best to have an experienced quality recommended transmission shop at least do a basic evaluation.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Dec 2016 at 05:48 pm.
Old 28 Dec 2016, 07:18 pm
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: PT does not shift sometimes - computer problem ?

It was going partly bad, not shifting, but if I take off the gas, it will downshift into gear, then I can give it gas temporarily. The only engine codes we get is 0420, that's the catalytic converter and other stuff code, never for anything else.

I checked the fluid, it is down one dot. It has gone below freezing most of the day and night here for the last week. I have not had any other engine diagnostic codes, and the car has been running fine, until the last two days.

I am mystified. There is no place where I live I could take it, even if I could pay for it, the nearest place is over 45 miles away. It just seems to have happened suddenly, no leaks on the ground, and just before this the antifreeze, say 3 weeks before, dropped the entire amount of the reservoir in one day. No leaks, nothing, nothing to indicate what is going on. Any clue? Why would it stop working so quickly? No leaks, fluid on the bottom of the engine is only oil, and some on the tranny prolly from that. Any clue?

Last edited by RichardFields71; 29 Dec 2016 at 01:11 am.