Advertisements
03 Cruiser won't start after clearing codes

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alanrw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 Cruiser won't start after clearing codes

I have 2003 PT Cruiser. Idk much about these cars, but I guess I"m learning quickly. It has 80,000 miles on it. Next month I'm getting the timing belt changed and the water pump. I just replaced the tires, radiator, and the it needs a AC pump (I think) or it needs charged.

Today I took it to SS Tire and got the oil changed and got a new air filter put on. I had codes P0440 and P1684 come up. It was a slow-crank and it didn't want to go into gear (I guess from what I've read that it was in limp-in mode). It wouldn't start a couple of times and i've jumped it and went on. I cleared the codes and the check engine light went off, I jumped it and it was fine. I drove it a little bit and let it sit and it started and I drove it home. Now it won't start, it won't jump.

I guess in the morning I will call AAA to come out and see if they can jump it.

I'm guessing something has cut off (safety feature) or is there something that I need to do or change. I haven't had a problem with the battery or anything until I changed the radiator. I took it to Advanced Auto and got the codes. I did clear them by doing the key trick.

I just got this car from a grandparent and it's in great shape and I have a few dollars to fix it up, but I'm already getting frustrated with it.

any suggestions are appreciated.

nice group btw.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 12:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 03 Cruiser won't start after clearing codes

Slow cranking? Most likely you are about to purchase a new battery.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by droe View Post
I have 2003 PT Cruiser. Idk much about these cars, but I guess I"m learning quickly. It has 80,000 miles on it. Next month I'm getting the timing belt changed and the water pump. I just replaced the tires, radiator, and the it needs a AC pump (I think) or it needs charged.

Today I took it to SS Tire and got the oil changed and got a new air filter put on. I had codes P0440 and P1684 come up. It was a slow-crank and it didn't want to go into gear (I guess from what I've read that it was in limp-in mode). It wouldn't start a couple of times and i've jumped it and went on. I cleared the codes and the check engine light went off, I jumped it and it was fine. I drove it a little bit and let it sit and it started and I drove it home. Now it won't start, it won't jump.

I guess in the morning I will call AAA to come out and see if they can jump it.

I'm guessing something has cut off (safety feature) or is there something that I need to do or change. I haven't had a problem with the battery or anything until I changed the radiator. I took it to Advanced Auto and got the codes. I did clear them by doing the key trick.

I just got this car from a grandparent and it's in great shape and I have a few dollars to fix it up, but I'm already getting frustrated with it.

any suggestions are appreciated.

nice group btw.
You need to have a OBDII Scan Tool to reset the engine trouble codes.

First thing you need to do is clean the battery cables. Check and see if you have at least 12.25 volts on the battery with a volt meter. Post what you find.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 10:18 am
Regular Cruiser

He could have 12.25V but it is most likely dropping when he hits the starter, no?
Old 10 Jul 2016, 01:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
He could have 12.25V but it is most likely dropping when he hits the starter, no?
Without being able to start I am checking to see if the battery voltage is low. If it is then I would recommend putting a battery charger on it. Sometimes jumping the battery does not work.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 10 Jul 2016 at 01:24 pm.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The battery likely needs to be load tested. If you don't have a charger and/or load tester, remove the battery from the car and take it to a parts store like Autozone where they will charge and load test your battery for free. If the battery is down it may need to charge a while before the load test.
Old 10 Jul 2016, 02:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The battery likely needs to be load tested. If you don't have a charger and/or load tester, remove the battery from the car and take it to a parts store like Autozone where they will charge and load test your battery for free. If the battery is down it may need to charge a while before the load test.
Make sure they put the correct amperage on the load tester. Sometimes they just leave it at 400 for a 4 cylinder engine. The proper way to do a battery load test is to take the PT Cruiser to the parts store so they can check the battery and to make sure the charging system is working properly.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 02:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

buy a haynes would be my advice! and p1684 im pretty sure without checking my haynes is just 'youve had the battery unplugged since the last 50 turns of the key/starts' meaning youve been disconnecting the battery to work on it or its been disconnected somehow, i get that often after ive been doing work on it then it goes after you hit the 50. charge the battery is my second tip. and dont get frustraited be cruisey with your cruiser...cars need maintenance, especially after some milage or a period of neglect.

2005 GT 2.4 Dark Plum Pearl