PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Down Stream O2 Sensor slow response

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2016, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Down Stream O2 Sensor slow response

I got a code P0139 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 2). I am figuring it needs replaced, however I have done extensive work. I had the dreaded overheating problem. I replaced the radiator, fan, fan relays, thermostat (a low temp 185). Overheating continued. Discovered it was a blown head gasket. I had the head machined, replaced the upper end gasket set including timing set and water pump. Now the car 2001 2.4L Limited Edition, is running sweet and at low temps of 180-190 even with a/c on.

My question is can this low engine temperature, lower that normal operating temperature range, affect the response time of the downstream O2 sensor? I would think if that was the case the upstream would also be affected. I planned on replacing it, but before I did I wanted to get the opinion of some of you folks with more technical knowledge. I am a good mechanic, but have been out of the business for over 20 years. Some of the new engine control systems concern me as to cause and effect of things like a slow response O2 sensor.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Down Stream O2 Sensor slow response

I think if you look they should be HO2s which means Heated Oxygen Sensors.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think if you look they should be HO2s which means Heated Oxygen Sensors.
You are correct.

"The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the exhaust pipe behind the catalytic convertor."

Thanks for pointing that out. I will replace it.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritHorse View Post
You are correct.

"The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the exhaust pipe behind the catalytic convertor."

Thanks for pointing that out. I will replace it.
If you replace the sensors, IMO, stay with an OEM. A while back a shop installed BOSCH sensors on my PT, and it suffered from poor performance and low mpg. I recently had them replaced with OEM, and noticed an immediate difference in performance. Go into your local dealer and inquire about pricing as you will most likely get a higher price if you call them. Your local dealer should be competitive with RockAuto once you add their shipping charges and you have to wait for the parts. You also may wanot to consider replacing both sensors.

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Jul 2016 at 06:31 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 06:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
If you replace the sensors, IMO, stay with an OEM. A while back a shop installed BOSCH sensors on my PT, and it suffered from poor performance and low mpg. I recently had them replaced with OEM, and noticed an immediate difference in performance. Go into your local dealer and inquire about pricing as you will most likely get a higher price if you call them. Your local dealer should be competitive with RockAuto once you add their shipping charges and you have to wait for the parts. You also may wanot to consider replacing both sensors.
Thanks for that info. I usually go with OEM, but didn't know about performance issues with non-OEM.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 07:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Kinda surprising as Bosch is the supplier for Porsche and has been around for decades with good stuff.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 08:33 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Kinda surprising as Bosch is the supplier for Porsche and has been around for decades with good stuff.
The BOSCH generic ones for my PT are the same for upper and lower. If you go with OEM, the upper has a long lead, the lower a short lead. But in addition to the leads being different length, there might be something different with the OEM sensor itself, like the resistence, but you would never be able to find that out from Chrysler. But if there wasn't something different with the sensors, then why 2 different lead lengths, when they could just make one length, if the sensors are really identical like BOSCH makes them? With different lead lengths, that leads me to believe that there could be something different about the sensors, and the lead length is how the tell them apart.

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Jul 2016 at 10:24 am.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There is most differently nothing wrong with Bosch products especially oxygen sensors. IMHO they are still the best in the business and used by not only many OE but also aftermarket manufactures (performance) of other related parts that use them as well.

Most aftermarket sensors and parts are fine as well. Many times the problem is that the installation with oxygen sensors is not done with a special socket made for the removal and installation of oxygen sensors. Failure to use extreme caution or not to use the specialized tool may and many times damages the sensors which may not be apparent right away.

These days you never know where any part is manufactured or supplied to automakers so the days of OEM quality being the best is long gone. This is 2016 and old school information about parts is just that OLD!!
Old 13 Jul 2016, 08:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The longer length wires are for more and wider range of application choices.

Call and talk to BOSCH and try not to make assumptions?
Old 13 Jul 2016, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

I have heard the same about Bosch O2 sensors and Mopars for years. I wonder if, like the Fram oil filters, there may have been a big run of counterfeit sensors. It is still a big problem, but there was a time that it was easier to get away with and it wouldn't take too many cheap fakes to cause a ton of internet indignation. Just a thought.