PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Pt "Limited" automatic Turbo retrofit?

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Eaglewarrior
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2016, 03:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglewarrior
Default 2005 Pt "Limited" automatic Turbo retrofit?

Have a 2005 PT Limited automatic ( must have auto, LABKA ). I have seen on EBay turbo kits that they "say" will fit. Any experience with an auto and a turbo?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Pt "Limited" automatic Turbo retrofit?

These treads about adding turbos come up often here on the forum. Often they get ugly because of a rude member or two. And there's absolutely no reason for that.

But the truth is that this can be done with lots of time effort and money. You can go to almost any car meet and see added turbos and superchargers on all kinds of cars. And many of these add-ons are done by young guys in their driveways. But there's a lot of difficulty involved far past just bolting on the turbocharger. The controls for the turbo must be sorted out and then tuning will need to be done on the PCM, plus several other modifications. But folks have done it. There's older threads on this forum and others where it's been accomplished.

Right now, the market for PT Cruisers has just about bottomed out. And turbo models don't bring much more than non-turbo models. So it's much easier and cheaper simply to sell your non-turbo PT and buy a GT. For me, I sold my tastefully modified 2001 PT Limited and was able to buy a very nice 2005 GT for less than a couple of hundred dollars more.

So right now, trading up to a turbo PT is going to be the best solution for a lot of folks.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Jul 2016 at 09:11 am.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 09:13 am
Senior Cruiser

I think most of the DIY turbo/supercharged PT Cruisers were done in the first couple of years when interest was highest and before the factory turbo came out. As Handy said, it is cheaper, easier to just buy a turbo car and you are waaaaay more likely to end up with a nice running car.

I think most of the turbos I see are automatics, but I'm not sure about in Mexico.
Old 14 Jul 2016, 09:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

You can pretty much add a turbo to any vehicle you want to, with just some time and effort. BUT, if you don't have the internals for the turbo, you just waste time and money. The rods, crank and pistons are just the beginning of what's different. I won't go into detail, but let's just say if you want a turbo PT, then look around until you find one you like and buy it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
automatic transmission, turbo