PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt Stalling & hesitation issues

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2016, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt Stalling & hesitation issues

Help! I'm ready to scrap this car: P PT Cruiser 2002Limited with a 2.4 Litre engine oeiginally stalled when slowing down, but still hesitates.. Engine is a drop in replacement for original 2.0 Litre. So far I've:
-had computer replaced
- new crankshaft, cam, IAC & throttle body sensors
- throttle body serviced & replaced
-spark plugs, wires & coil replaced
-timing & compression tests good
- pully belts replaced.

What else can my mechanic do?
Old 15 Jul 2016, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt Stalling & hesitation issues

Welcome to the forum
Old 15 Jul 2016, 02:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld_Rose View Post
Help! I'm ready to scrap this car: P PT Cruiser 2002Limited with a 2.4 Litre engine oeiginally stalled when slowing down, but still hesitates.. Engine is a drop in replacement for original 2.0 Litre. So far I've:
-had computer replaced
- new crankshaft, cam, IAC & throttle body sensors
- throttle body serviced & replaced
-spark plugs, wires & coil replaced
-timing & compression tests good
- pully belts replaced.

What else can my mechanic do?
seems you asked.....
Connect a DRB II scanner and do some real diagnostic analysis before replacing any more parts!
Old 15 Jul 2016, 02:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Last code said it was a power steering problem - mechanic couldn't find any issues there
Old 15 Jul 2016, 02:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Where is this car? I don't think any in the US got the 2.0. I am not sure why a 2.4. would be a "drop in" replacement. Was there an ECM swap? Could it be a computer/tune issue? Almost half a liter is a pretty large increase at this size, it might simply need more fuel at idle. I would check on the Neon lists for guys that have actually swapped the 2.4 in place of the 2.0.
chuzz likes this.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In a PT Cruise it is a PCM not an ECU they are different.
The reason I recommend the use of a DBRII is exactly your line of questions in your last response.

This members has not really supplied good technical information about what the "mechanic" has ascertained or if any diagnostic work was performed.

FYI
I assisted in a swapped a 1.6 into a PT that came with a 2.4 and used the original PCM without operating issues. There were some indication that better timing and fuel calibration could benefit but not necessarily needed.

The 1.6 IMHO is a better power plant for increased performance applications potentials.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 03:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
In a PT Cruise it is a PCM not an ECU they are different.
The reason I recommend the use of a DBRII is exactly your line of questions in your last response.

This members has not really supplied good technical information about what the "mechanic" has ascertained or if any diagnostic work was performed.

FYI
I assisted in a swapped a 1.6 into a PT that came with a 2.4 and used the original PCM without operating issues. There were some indication that better timing and fuel calibration could benefit but not necessarily needed.

The 1.6 IMHO is a better power plant for increased performance applications potentials.
What 1.6? You are talking about the Mini engine? Why is it better for performance potential? I thought they were single cam and way down on power compared to the 2.4. I thought the whole purpose of the 2.4 was torque to move the bigger barges (PT/Cirrus, etc) around? Did you use a blower like on your Mini?

Don't take this as some kind of challenge to your knowledge. I am seriously asking, I know very little about the 1.6 or the Mini other than having met and spoken to its designer Frank Stephenson several times while I was in Milan. That was when he was with Fiat before he moved over to McLaren.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
What 1.6? Why is it better for performance potential?

I am seriously asking, I know very little about the 1.6 or the Mini
Dude you and I are going to get in trouble...we keep drifting off topic on threads ...I don't mind.... I get in trouble all the time on this forum.
The 1.6 is a Chrysler power plant used in several application not all Chrysler.

The 1.6 can easily support very high power levels and the research development and availability of more current Performance parts is better currently than the 2.4.

My response was only to clear that swapping the engines would have some effect on the drivabilty because of the PCM calibration set for a 2.4 or 2.0 but not so bad that the engine would not still run pretty well under most operating conditions none sport driving.

I had a marketable stroked 1.6 in the mid 20's but decided not to offer it. I can say that the engine DYNO when I tested up the proto-type..

If you look you can find a picture of it on this forum.

The 2.4 was tried for a transplant in a MINI but failed in making the power to weight ratio comparing the 1.6 and cost more to modify for higher power levels and naturally was just to big to be able to run any sort of aesthetically pleasing hood on a BMW/MINI.

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jul 2016 at 04:41 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 04:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld_Rose View Post
engine oeiginally stalled when slowing down, but still hesitates..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
My response was only to clear that swapping the engines would have some effect on the drivabilty because of the PCM calibration set for a 2.4 or 2.0 but not so bad that the engine would not still run pretty well under most operating conditions none sport driving.
If you want to stay on topic, I refer you to the above. The problems the OP is citing seem to fit what you are saying. The tune probably isn't optimal and it probably would only take a very minor issue to cause it to stumble. We all agree that it doesn't appear that any diagnosing has gone on, just shotgun parts replacement. Not what you want or expect from a mechanic, especially when you are not swapping identical parts.

As for the 1.6, it seems counter-intuitive to me. PM anything else you have on it. It seems interesting. I was under the impression the 1.6, 2.0 and 2.4 had very similar architecture and extra cubes rarely hurt. I didn't imagine that a 1.6 with a single cam could be in anyway competitive, but I only know what I read about them in a blurb somewhere.
Old 15 Jul 2016, 05:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MINIs with 1.6 engines are doing very well competitively speaking all over the world.

Sorry I am not really going to talk about them as those days have been and passed for me. The 09 MINI is a DD (daily Driver) but still needs a little engine modding for my taste. If it helps my GT PT Cruiser can hole shot and do better ET's than our 09 MINI by far but not a chance in hell with the 02. In fact most V-8 equip factory performance cars up to 133mph (that is the built top speed of the 02) on average are in the rear view.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...other-car.html

Last edited by NitroPT; 15 Jul 2016 at 05:25 pm.