Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
here i am again! need more help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jul 2016, 05:49 pm
Young Cruiser

Default here i am again! need more help!

you guys have been great so i'm bugging you again.

This issue has been here awhile but i dont know what to do.

i have a 2007 pt cruiser. over the last year it's gotten increasingle harder to start. it's not engine related, i think it's the ignition switch.

the problem is this. when you put a key in, you turn it to the 'run or on' position, then give it that little extra which is what engages the starter. Well it still works but it's to the point now I have to turn it so hard to get that little boost to engage the starter I have to turn it overhand.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to a Chrysler dealer and that's going to cost me a fortune.

does anyone have any advise before I go that route?

Last edited by story97; 16 Jul 2016 at 05:57 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 06:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: here i am again! need more help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
you guys have been great so i'm bugging you again.

This issue has been here awhile but i dont know what to do.

i have a 2007 pt cruiser. over the last year it's gotten increasingle harder to start. it's not engine related, i think it's the ignition switch.

the problem is this. when you put a key in, you turn it to the 'run or on' position, then give it that little extra which is what engages the starter. Well it still works but it's to the point now I have to turn it so hard to get that little boost to engage the starter I have to turn it overhand.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it to a Chrysler dealer and that's going to cost me a fortune.

does anyone have any advise before I go that route?
You could try changing the starter switch but you will need to by a security 5 point star bit and the starter switch. Not difficult, no you cannot wiggle the starter switch out without removing the key cylinder housing.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 16 Jul 2016, 06:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
You could try changing the starter switch but you will need to by a security 5 point star bit and the starter switch. Not difficult, no you cannot wiggle the starter switch out without removing the key cylinder housing.
is that something that can be replaced at a mechanic shop or does this require me to go to Chrysler? i have GREAT mechanic but when i talked to him last time he said he'd look at it but if it required new keys etc, or something else it would have to come from chrysler.

I'm trying to save enough money to move my mother to phoenix. She's dying right now (75 yrs old) and I moved back here to help her. She's going blind and I cannot afford a huge repair bill so i'm desperately hoping it doesn't have to go to a delaership. i spent over $3000 getting the whole front end replaced, then the motor mounts, then the radiator and fan. i THOUGHT i'd gotten it fixed.

by the way, i thought it sounded to me like the ignition switch actuator. does that sound plausible?

Last edited by story97; 16 Jul 2016 at 06:10 pm.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
is that something that can be replaced at a mechanic shop or does this require me to go to Chrysler? i have GREAT mechanic but when i talked to him last time he said he'd look at it but if it required new keys etc, or something else it would have to come from chrysler.

I'm trying to save enough money to move my mother to phoenix. She's dying right now (75 yrs old) and I moved back here to help her. She's going blind and I cannot afford a huge repair bill so i'm desperately hoping it doesn't have to go to a delaership. i spent over $3000 getting the whole front end replaced, then the motor mounts, then the radiator and fan. i THOUGHT i'd gotten it fixed.

by the way, i thought it sounded to me like the ignition switch actuator. does that sound plausible?
Ignition switch is under the steering wheel cover, cover comes off with two screws from the underside, couple more screws and the turn signal (MFS) comes off. Then your looking at the switch at the end of the key cylinder housing.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh