Fluid change or flush on a low mileage PT

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By Fk5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2016, 04:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fluid change or flush on a low mileage PT

Just purchased the granddaughter a 2009 PT Cruiser Limited for college with 19,071 one owner miles. Other than oil & filter I believe the maintenance schedule B is going to be of little use as she will be putting on an average of 5,000 miles per year. Based on time and not mileage when should the following fluid flushes be done:
1) Coolant-----
2) Brake fluid-------
3) Power Steering fluid--------
4) Transaxle (Automatic ATF with or without filter)-------------

Also is there a time issue for deterioration of the Timing Belt due to age of the vehicle???

Your knowledgeable replies are appreciated.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 07:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fluid change or flush on a low mileage PT

It's still 7 years old. I'd change the filter and fluid. As for the timing belt, I would pull the inspection cover and have a look. If there aren't any cracks in it, I'd leave it alone.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 08:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Hardly anybody does it, but I think the brake fluid is a two or three year flush interval. The problem with brake fluid is that it absorbs water which causes all kinds of problems. That happens from time rather than use. There were a bunch of horror stories about bleeding brakes with ABS when they first came out, but I haven't encountered any great difficulties there. Knock wood. Just follow the procedures in the manual.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 08:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasports View Post
Just purchased the granddaughter a 2009 PT Cruiser Limited for college with 19,071 one owner miles. Other than oil & filter I believe the maintenance schedule B is going to be of little use as she will be putting on an average of 5,000 miles per year. Based on time and not mileage when should the following fluid flushes be done:
1) Coolant-----
2) Brake fluid-------

Also is there a time issue for deterioration of the Timing Belt due to age of the vehicle???

All are easy to service and inexpensive to do. They will also set a baseline of maintenance period for future attention.

Regarding brake fluid, there is still a problem if you are trying to do a flush/change with any ABS. It requires for many applications special Diagnostic Tools and special procedures for a complete flushing of the fluid. However for the general purpose most everyone only changes the the fluid in the primary system and not the ABS. This is why there are less reports of problems.

The *timing belt at that miles could easily go for years and several thousand mile before it is a concern.

BTW ALL the fluids can be check for little money and some for free. Brake fluid most better chain service centers like SEARS and Firestone can check them and Blackstone Labs can check the oil.

If you are really concerned you should take it to a shop that has good reviews and qualified ASE Technicians to give the PT Cruise a *100 point inspection.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jul 2016, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasports View Post
1) Coolant-----
2) Brake fluid-------

Welcome to the forum.

Did the previous owner say if the PT Cruiser has been driven routinely or did it sit for a long time?
Old 21 Jul 2016, 09:16 am
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 21 Jul 2016, 10:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Following up on the maintenance intervals in the manual, a few months back I took mine in for a brake fluid flush. The mechanics managed to BREAK all the bleeder valves in the brakes (snapped em off), and they claimed they were 'crystallized' with age (12 years...). They advised me to come back in a year or two when it was time for new brake pads
Old 21 Jul 2016, 10:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Following up on the maintenance intervals in the manual, a few months back I took mine in for a brake fluid flush. The mechanics managed to BREAK all the bleeder valves in the brakes (snapped em off), and they claimed they were 'crystallized' with age (12 years...). They advised me to come back in a year or two when it was time for new brake pads
I can see one maybe but not all. The proper way if they looked questionable would have been to spray a lubricant and to a snug-loosen method to remove or service them? SAD!!!

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 21 Jul 2016, 10:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I can see one maybe but not all. The proper way if they looked questionable would have been to spray a lubricant and to a snug-loosen method to remove or service them? SAD!!!
If you are a DIY guy like me, you should be spraying things like that a week or more in advance to make sure they are good to go. I think when we did the front end on the 'cuda we started spraying stuff 2 months out.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 21 Jul 2016, 11:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you everyone for your responses.

ptcruisersteve--
The cruiser was purchased from a Boise, ID dealer who had taken this one local owner car in trade for a Lexus. No idea of who the original owner was, their driving style, or access to any service records. All the Carfax report listed were oil and filter changes over a 8 yr. period (so it appears the car did not sit in storage.) No other maintenance care was mentioned on the Carfax.