Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Not sure if timing jumped or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2016, 08:10 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Not sure if timing jumped or not

We replaced a cylinder head on our 04 PT cruiser got everything timing right on with a brand new timing kit pulley and tensioner too, got the belt tensioner tensioned like what the Chilton's book wanted done and I did, now it's been almost two weeks running and driving it and yesterday when I went to accelerate and then I let off on the gas quick it kicked don't know where exactly, now before replacing the head when we were disassembly the engine we got it at tdc and the cams were a whole tooth off, and when we were driving it it would also kick when let off on the gas quick but then after a while if I remember correctly it stopped kicking and didn't do it again so that leaves me to beleive the timing is jumping again. What would you guys think could it be that or something with the trans? Please give me you opinions on this, but try not to be too harsh, lol 😀
Old 23 Jul 2016, 08:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Not sure if timing jumped or not

IF timing jumped, I would think that it would idle rough and CEL would illuminate.
IF CEL is on, are there any codes?
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 23 Jul 2016, 09:00 am
Regular Cruiser

No there is no CEL on at all and when the belt was a whole tooth off when we saw it that way before we did the head replacemnt there still wasn't a check engine light on for that neither but there was a little sputtering out the muffler but that was probably due to bad lifters which now everything on the rebuilt head has been checked and replace now.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 09:05 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I assume you inspected the upper and lower torque strut "mounts" when you took them off the engine? Broken/worn out bushings make the engine rock back and forth on acceleration especially when accelerating after coasting at low speeds.

Just checking.
Old 23 Jul 2016, 11:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Sorry to say I did and I bought a brand new center motor mount because the old one the rubber was missing in half the circle so there was only rubber in the bottom half of the mount circle. But I did replace the t and bottom torque struts not too long ago but they still look good better then the center mount did I replaced. But I started the car up today and the same scratching sound from inside the engine came back, now the scratching noise was there before we did this job and that's when we found the timng a whole tooth off so when we finished the work and started it up there was no scratching type sound from the engine at all it was gone up until yesterday when it kicked and then today I heard the sound and it sounds a little louder and more constant this time too.