• 1 Post By DroptopPTGTCruizer
  • 2 Post By rob302

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2016, 03:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cross drilled rotors or no?

Hi everyone!

I have a 2004 cruiser touring edition that is about due for front brakes. I regularly have to drive up and down a mountain pass to go to work/school/et cetera. I have noticed that the stock style brakes that I have now seem to get hot in a heartbeat, and I'm not hard on them. Is this normal on a PT cruiser? I had cross drilled rotors on another car I had in the past, and I was very happy with them. I am also considering doing some light towing with my PT (tent trailer), so that is a factor as well. Has anyone run cross drilled rotors on their PT, and would you do it again?

Thanks!

-steve
Old 24 Jul 2016, 05:15 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Cross drilled rotors or no?

G'day Steve!

Cross-drilled rotors are quite popular street car options for aesthetics. They often come with painted hats (rotor hubs) and fins (edges). From a practical standpoint, they are more prone to warping because there's less metal and more surface area. They are very rarely used for racing, as they stress fracture more easily. They can also get quite gummy and dirty with brake pad dust, with all those holes.

They are intended to increase airflow, but there is better engineering to choose. They look great, but I'd be inclined to go for something more reliable. Good rotors are hard to find, in the old days they would last 100,000 miles and might get machined once in the car's life. Nowadays, unless you can find good rotors, they'll warp the first time you hit a puddle.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 10:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

To preference my response..I engineered complete aftermarket BBK kit and brake systems.

Their are no PT Cruiser OEM replacement brake rotors that are better then any other comparatively speaking.

There is and will always be a misunderstanding about drilled and slotted rotors as long as the number one auto sport is bench racing.

Warping of rotors is almost a thing from the age of the dinosaurs because of the much improved way brake rotors are manufactured and the current available materials.
The quality of the brake pad material has a direct influence on the longevity of the brake disc.
Rotors of the passed from say the 80s and older were absolutely terrible for almost all aspect of performance and life expectancy.

The key to the best braking is a combination of the correctly chosen brake pads, good overall condition of tires and the proper tire pressure and a in shape suspension system.

If prefer the aesthetics of drill and or slotted rotors for street vehicles.

My last BBK (now discontinued) I engineered and offered for sale.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...other-car.html

FRONT[/B]

Custom modified Ford Mustang calipers
Custom Rotors
Custom M&M CNC wheel nuts
All stainless steel fasteners
RED Stainless steel Braided Teflex brake lines

Rear

Custom Modified Ireland/M&M BBK
Ferodo Ds 2500 pads
Custom M&M Bronze oilite caliper bushings
Custom M&M CNC wheel studs
Custom M&M CNC wheel nuts
All stainless steel fasteners
RED Stainless Steel Braided Teflex brake lines

Wheels – Tires

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 24 Jul 2016 at 10:32 am.
Old 24 Jul 2016, 06:32 pm
Young Cruiser

I installed back in May 2016 front/rear full set of Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk PC ceramic pads. Excellent feel & performance, no fade when warm, no brake dust to speak of. I also bled brakes & put in fresh Prestone brake fluid. Very happy with them.

I went with Hawk after putting their pads on my Explorer last fall with Centric rotors. They performed so well on my SUV that I decided the PT needed a brake upgrade from the stock brakes it was wearing.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
2005 PT GT Convertible HO Turbo Autostick ~ black/black leather ~ 53,000 miles ~ summer-only driver ~ OEM rear sway bar ~ K&N 57 series CAI ~ 4-wheel ABS ~ Hawk Sector 27 drilled/slotted rotors ~ Hawk Performance Ceramic pads ~ Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide-Oval performance tires ~
Old 24 Jul 2016, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

I've got them on my Hemi Charger Daytona. And there was a substantial difference. Good quality pads and rotor do usually provide an improvement. And of course, the drilled and slotted variety look nice. Whether it is the drilling and slotting or just the quality components that improve the braking is something for internet mechanic to debate.

On pads, I really like the Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic series from Advance Auto. They are the best pads I've ever used and I use them on all my vehicles. And what's cool is that if you buy 100$ worth of stuff from Advance online, you can use a $40-off code. So if you buy both front and rear of these pads at the same time, you can get them for about the cost of their discount pads. The current discount code for this is TRT41.

And over the next year, I will likely be doing just about everything worth doing to my 2007 turbo convertible. You can follow that thread here:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jul 2016 at 08:02 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:48 am
Veteran Cruiser

I put drilled slotted rotors on my mustang and imo it stopped better before I did it. There seems to be less initial bite and the brake fade is the same or worse than it was with the old rotors. They look nice but I would not buy them again.
Closed Thread