PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser issue after new radiator installed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2016, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser issue after new radiator installed

Hi All,

I have a 2002 pt cruiser with 52K miles on it. I have a question that maybe a mechanic can answer if they know the layout of the cruiser. Took it to my mechanic on Fri as it overheated. They troubleshot and found that the radiator was shot. They fixed I on Friday and I picked it up and drove it home about 2 miles. No issues at that time. Parked it and then went to drive it a couple hours later and after turning on the red airbag light was on which has never come on before. It would not shut off. I also found that now that the airbag light is on, my power windows and backup lights do not work. As well as turning the fan switch on for cooling or heating, does not turn anything on. All called my mechanic and he will look at tomorrow. I Was wondering in the meantime if anyone knows what this could be. Is there any connectors or connections present near the radiator that could have been jarred while doing radiator or anything else. Thx for any input.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser issue after new radiator installed

I would suggest there is possibly a short to ground somewhere near the radiator that blew a fuse. Check the fuses #4 #17 #18 #19 #20 and see which one is blown. Post which fuse is blown and we can diagnose possibly where the short might be.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 25 Jul 2016 at 10:25 am.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:31 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm not saying it's impossible, but your rad is shot and they managed to replace it in the same day? I would have thought atleast a day lead time on parts and now you are having electrical issues. I'd be cautious and not waste too much time/money with this mechanic, unless you really trust them.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I'm not saying it's impossible, but your rad is shot and they managed to replace it in the same day? I would have thought atleast a day lead time on parts and now you are having electrical issues. I'd be cautious and not waste too much time/money with this mechanic, unless you really trust them.
Excellent point! Look under the hood and see if the radiator looks brand new.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm all for blaming the repair man, but c'mon.

I did my radiator in less than a day and my car is rusty and I am a hack in a poorly lit garage. Seems like this isn't a new problem, so I don't see why we are trying to relate it to the radiator. If he spliced wires, maybe he should start there. Maybe they pulled some of his splices loose doing the radiator.

Electrical issue need help!
Old 25 Jul 2016, 01:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I'm all for blaming the repair man, but c'mon.

I did my radiator in less than a day and my car is rusty and I am a hack in a poorly lit garage. Seems like this isn't a new problem, so I don't see why we are trying to relate it to the radiator. If he spliced wires, maybe he should start there. Maybe they pulled some of his splices loose doing the radiator.

Electrical issue need help!
I was thinking how the mechanic was able to get the new radiator so fast! Are there that many in stock in auto part stores?
Old 25 Jul 2016, 01:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I was thinking how the mechanic was able to get the new radiator so fast! Are there that many in stock in auto part stores?
I got a TYC from Rock Auto, but there were at least 2 Advance Autos within 10 miles of my house that had them in stock. I didn't like the price/lack of name brand combo.

I will pay for good parts or go for cheap no-names, but I am not paying for no-names.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 01:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
With something like 10 million PTs built and a sh*t ton still on the road, auto part stores keep a lot of parts on hand.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 25 Jul 2016, 02:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
With something like 10 million PTs built and a sh*t ton still on the road, auto part stores keep a lot of parts on hand.
Haha. Funny thing is, I just checked and Advance doesn't have them in stock anymore. Autozone says not in stock, but you can pick it up today.

Who the hell is Car Quest now? Did they become Advance? That is the "brand name" of the radiator.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 03:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
Wow! I haven't replaced a radiator in my vehicles in 45 years. I wonder what is the average life of the radiator in the PT Cruisers?