PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PLEASE HELP BOTH MY MECHANIC AND I ARE PUZZLED

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PLEASE HELP BOTH MY MECHANIC AND I ARE PUZZLED

I have a 2007 non-turbo with 11746 miles on it. Here's my problem. Anytime, I have the A/C on or the heater and I'm either at a complete stop or idle my car will begin to overheat but, once I start to accelerate and get the car moving the temperature begins to drop pretty quick.

Here is what We've done so far: Temperature switch,Water Pump, Low pressure valve, checked relays and sensors, Fans work properly, No leaks, radiator, and thermostat even though the thermostat it currently has is the not best quality, tomorrow I am replacing it with a fail safe thermostat that solves the problem. If not I will be royally screwed.

Please any help will be greatly appriciated.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:37 pm
Banned

Default Re: PLEASE HELP BOTH MY MECHANIC AND I ARE PUZZLED

Welcome to the forum

Your mechanic has replaced practically everything related to cooling, except the fan assembly. What level of shop are you using, dealership or quick-lube place? I would have them do some further troubleshooting with the fan.

While they replaced the water pump, did they also replace the timing belt and other related components?
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest you check the low speed on your radiator fan by starting the engine cold, turn on the A/C and see if the high speed on the radiator fan automatically comes on. If it does not come on then I would manually apply 12 volts to both speeds on the radiator fan and see if they come on.

If the radiator low speed fan and high speed comes on then I would suggest making sure you have a sealed coolant system. I would do a coolant pressure test to see if you have any leaks. Check to see if your radiator cap is working properly. What pound radiator cap do you have on it?

Check the little hose that goes from the radiator cap to the reservoir tank. If the hose is leaking it will put air in the coolant system.

Do you have coolant coming out of the reservoir tank when it overheats?

Did the overheating issue before or after you replaced the water pump?
rckstein and podo2000 like this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 26 Jul 2016 at 10:25 am.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
What level of shop are you using, dealership or quick-lube place?
Not sure what you mean but, Im using a regular mechanic and parts from autozone. Hope that answer your question.

Quote:
What pound radiator cap do you have on it?
I will check that tomorrow and let you know

Quote:
Did the overheating issue before or after you replaced the water pump?
Will the water pump got changed when I had my mechanic change the timing belt because it was making squeaky noises. Although, My mechanic did change one of the hose because it had a small leak.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:15 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by souleater View Post
Not sure what you mean but, Im using a regular mechanic and parts from autozone. Hope that answer your question.

Will the water pump got changed when I had my mechanic change the timing belt because it was making squeaky noises. Although, My mechanic did change one of the hose because it had a small leak.
Since your mechanic is using parts from AutoZone, pretty sure you're not using a dealership. Is your mechanic a shade-tree mechanic, or someone you found in a personal advertisement, or family friend that works on vehicles in their off time, or do they work for an actual repair shop that uses ASE trained mechanics? Where did you find this mechanic, is this someone you have used in the past? The level of training and experience of your mechanic can make a difference on the quality of work being done on your vehicle.

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Jul 2016 at 12:18 am.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by souleater View Post

Was it overheating before the timing belt replacement or after?
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I noticed you didn't mention anything about the radiator fan but keep in mind that the brushes could be barely touching so sometimes it might not be working properly. Approx. 90 percent of the time the radiator fan is the cause of the overheating.
rckstein and uncomn like this.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:55 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I noticed you didn't mention anything about the radiator fan but keep in mind that the brushes could be barely touching so sometimes it might not be working properly. Approx. 90 percent of the time the radiator fan is the cause of the overheating.
And usually the fan is one of the first items replaced when troubleshooting a cooling issue.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 08:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

mine had the similar problem
it had air in the cooling system...
I bled the system and it was ok
Busted_PT and VsandFords like this.

Old 26 Jul 2016, 08:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with others - symptoms point to the fan - it has 2 speeds, you probably lost high speed.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles