PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Struggling to accelerate/burning smell when its hot outside

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2016, 11:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Struggling to accelerate/burning smell when its hot outside

Thought I'd post this here since everyone I talk to has no clue what is going on. I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Ltd Edition and currently I'm having a bit of trouble in this hot weather. The car runs fine in the morning and at night (I work 3rd shift) but during the day, usually when the ambient temperature gets above 85 degrees, I start to encounter trouble. Mostly with acceleration. 1st and 2nd gear it accelerates fine but I think in 3rd it starts to hesitate and really struggles to climb. I'd be pushing over 3500RPMs and the MPH are barely climbing. I've also notice a burning smell (kind of like rubber) coming from under the hood, closest to the drivers side and closer to the windshield. Also a few times I've pulled over because the car started to vibrate badly as if I had a flat tire but that wasn't the case. It just kind of goes away on its own. That happens more rarely tho, but again, only in excessive heat. I've recently had a new cooling fan installed, spark plugs, and I believe a timing belt and some other tune up work done all within the last 6 months. Temperature gauge stays in the middle so no problems there. Fluids are good. And AC isn't effected because....it stopped working a while back so it stays off (currently using the 2/55 method to stay cool).

Any clue what could be going on? I've been told by one person it may be a serpentine belt wearing out? I'm not technically handy with mechanical things other than computers so I've no clue what to be looking for. And I'm not richest person in the world and taking it in would be problematic since the guy I take it to tends to hang on to the car between 3-4 days and I've no way else to get to work. I mean I KNOW I'm definitely going to have to take it in, and will, but I'm mostly curious as to what may be the problem and how expensive it might be to fix something like the serpentine belt, if that is the problem.

Any help here would greatly be appreciated! Thanks
Old 29 Jul 2016, 12:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Struggling to accelerate/burning smell when its hot outside

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a stick shift has the clutch been replaced yet?

Also when you have the burning smell open up the hood and see if you have oil burning on the exhaust pipe from oil pressure sensor, etc.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Jul 2016 at 09:08 am.
Old 29 Jul 2016, 07:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Funny that Steve guessed clutch. I was guessing auto. I was going to say to check the trans fluid if it were an auto. Clutch is probably a better choice. If it were an automatic problem it would probably throw some codes. Is the check engine light on? Did you run the codes?

Serpentine belt is a less likely choice. That is passenger side. The transmission is driver's side, so it could be the scent of clutch or the trans fluid through the dipstick. ATF+4 or clutch - neither is a particularly pleasing aroma.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply guys. Its an automatic. I'll check the transmission fluid in the morning and see what's up. No check engine light yet.
Old 29 Aug 2016, 09:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This happened to my cruiser an I replaced the camshaft sensor ran fine after
Old 29 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: Struggling to accelerate/burning smell when its hot outside

Next time it happens, stop the car and feel the wheels. Our 2006 had similar issues when the brakes on one wheel would not release. You could smell the burning and the wheel was way too hot to touch. Replaced pads, replaced brake hoses and eventually, a caliper. It never happened again.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Howdy, was there a resolution to this? I have the exact same problem, intermittently, on a 2007 automatic. The smell is exactly how a burning clutch disc smells, though it's a auto. Brakes do not appear to be binding and pad/rotors are 6 months old. At. fluid clean and changed 6 months ago as well. NO pulling left or right, steering wheel shake at 45-60 mph, all issues went away after sitting 15 minutes.
Almost has to be a binding front driver side brake but no indication of such.
Old 21 Oct 2018, 11:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmpiano View Post
Howdy, was there a resolution to this? I have the exact same problem, intermittently, on a 2007 automatic. The smell is exactly how a burning clutch disc smells, though it's a auto. Brakes do not appear to be binding and pad/rotors are 6 months old. At. fluid clean and changed 6 months ago as well. NO pulling left or right, steering wheel shake at 45-60 mph, all issues went away after sitting 15 minutes.
Almost has to be a binding front driver side brake but no indication of such.
When it does happen do you touch the rim to see if it is hot?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 10:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Logical next step of course to see if caliper is building heat due to friction. Did not do this yet, not a daily driver car, daughter's, she just started college. Thanks!
Old 23 Oct 2018, 07:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Just as a preventative measure and it was MY daughter, I'd just go ahead and replace both front calipers and rubber brake hoses. You need to protect your daughter as much as possible.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.