PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear bracket for intake manifold on 2009 non-turbo

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2016, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear bracket for intake manifold on 2009 non-turbo

This is one of those simple things, the kind that everyone just breezes by because of how simple it is. So it's been REAL difficult for me to find the answer I need and I'm turning to this forum for help. I've watch tons of video and looked at even more pictures of how to remove the intake manifold but since it's such a simple thing no one ever gets a camera angle where I can actually see how things work (always a cable or a hose in the way).

First a little back story, I recently replaced my spark plugs and spark plug cables on my 2009 base model non-turbo PT Cruiser and in the process found out that the '13mm bolt' (as it was called in almost all the videos) in the back was missing, and because the manifold wasn't supported it had started to vibrate loose.

Simple problem, yes? You just replace the 13m bolt and you're good to go, right? But if it were that easy, I wouldn't need to make this posting!

You see, the bracket is more than an inch away from the manifold! They don't seem to line up. And I have been able to determine with some degree of certainty that the bracket is the right one.

And because the bracket was missing the bolt to begin with, I've never seen how this is supposed to work, how that gap between the bracket and the manifold is handled! None of the service manuals I have cover the bracket other than as an item on an exploded diagram. And there is no explanation or picture that I could discover, in more than 3 months of trying, that shows how it works.

And I don't have access to another PT Cruiser so I could look. Even the local Chrysler dealership couldn't help me, they suggested pick-a-part.

So here is a picture of the bracket showing how far away from the manifold it is.
Bracket1.jpg

Can anyone shed light on how I need to deal with this? I'd like to get the manifold anchored before it starts to vibrate loose again. Or even worse, before it cracks due to the vibrations!

Thanks!

Last edited by jlummel; 30 Jul 2016 at 09:45 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 09:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rear bracket for intake manifold on 2009 non-turbo

Not sure what your talking about. The first couple years of the PT there was an EGR bracket attached to the bracket in back of the manifold. It was held on by two bolts (circled). About 2003 Chrysler did away with the EGR and the bracket was plugged up because it wasn't used anymore.

jlummel likes this.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 09:57 pm
Banned

The bracket you have appears to be correct, below is from my PT:

It appears that you need to bend it forward towards the engine more to make contact with the upper plenum. You can tell that it is a stiff bracket, maybe if you got a longer bolt to tighten into the upper plenum, it may move it enough forward so that you can then get the correct bolt to secure it?

One way that I can see that it may have been bent backwards is that when someone was removing the plenum to replace the plugs and wires, they might have lifted up on the plenum bending the bracket backwards, and then they realized that there was one more bolt that needed to take loose, and when they removed that bolt, the bracket stayed bent towards the firewall, now causing the gap.

Last edited by rckstein; 30 Jul 2016 at 11:25 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Now that I see it, it looks like the bracket uses the same bolt hole as one of the EGR bolts but since you don't have the EGR pipe, the bracket is used to secure the upper manifold.
Old 30 Jul 2016, 11:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I think I get it now, thanks guys!

If you look at the photo of the EGR bracket there are 2 bolts holding it on, and in the photo that @rckstein posted the bracket is attached the left-hand hole of the vestigial EGR mounting.

But if you look at my photo in the first message above, the bracket is sitting in front of the right-hand hole of the old EGR mounting! That's why it doesn't line up, the bottom of the bracket is attached at the wrong place to the engine block.

Likely there are two holes on the engine block for the old EGR bracket (like on the manifold) and at some point in time someone reattached the the bracket to the wrong one (the right-hand one, rather than the left). It never occurred to me that the bracket could be in the wrong place.

It's also possible that I just need to loosen the bottom bolt and swing the bracket from the right bolt hole to the left one to attach it, and there aren't actually two holes.

Won't know which way is right till I try, but either way I just need to move the bracket over to the correct location and attach it there...

So, one more question, what type and size of bolt do I need to get to go thru the rubber bushing in the bracket and screw into the manifold? I still need one of those to finish this up, but at least i know how to now.

Last edited by jlummel; 31 Jul 2016 at 12:00 am.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 07:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If I remember correctly, for the EGR pipe, there was a 13mm hole on the left and an 8mm hole on the right. It looks like you need the 13mm bolt.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 10:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlummel View Post
I think I get it now, thanks guys!

If you look at the photo of the EGR bracket there are 2 bolts holding it on, and in the photo that @rckstein posted the bracket is attached the left-hand hole of the vestigial EGR mounting.

But if you look at my photo in the first message above, the bracket is sitting in front of the right-hand hole of the old EGR mounting! That's why it doesn't line up, the bottom of the bracket is attached at the wrong place to the engine block.

Likely there are two holes on the engine block for the old EGR bracket (like on the manifold) and at some point in time someone reattached the the bracket to the wrong one (the right-hand one, rather than the left). It never occurred to me that the bracket could be in the wrong place.

It's also possible that I just need to loosen the bottom bolt and swing the bracket from the right bolt hole to the left one to attach it, and there aren't actually two holes.

Won't know which way is right till I try, but either way I just need to move the bracket over to the correct location and attach it there...

So, one more question, what type and size of bolt do I need to get to go thru the rubber bushing in the bracket and screw into the manifold? I still need one of those to finish this up, but at least i know how to now.
The bottom of the bracket is only held with one bolt (below pic). Maybe your bracket got cocked a little towards the passenger side? I think if you loosened the bottom bolt, moved the bracket towards the drivers side, that should also bring the top of the bracket into contact with the plenum.

Old 31 Jul 2016, 10:59 am
Veteran Cruiser

Another bracket I see missing from my car...

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 31 Jul 2016, 11:12 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Probably not a good thing either.
Old 31 Jul 2016, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I have a spare bracket I picked up as I originally thought I might have the bracket for the turbo in my car. Turns out my bracket was already the correct one!

If you are interested, let me know - $25 + shipping.

Bracket2.jpg

I picked it up on eBay and this is the original pic from the auction and shows what I received (though it wasn't this exact bracket).

Last edited by jlummel; 31 Jul 2016 at 11:59 am.